Costa Concordia Captain Schettino Released from House Arrest
By James Shillinglaw
July 05, 2012 10:23 PM
Captain Francesco Schettino of Costa Cruises’ Costa Concordia reportedly was released from house arrest on July 5 by Italian judges, but was told not to leave his hometown while the case against him continues. Schettino has been implicated in the sinking of the Concordia on Jan. 13, during which 32 people died. Costa is currently contracting with several suppliers to remove the wreck.
Judges in the Tuscan town of Grosseto who are overseeing the case said Schettino would no longer have to remain confined to his home in Meta di Sorrento near Naples but would have to remain in the town. Schettino also is no longer bound by the strict conditions of house arrest, which prevented him from communicating with anyone beyond his lawyer and close family. The judges' ruling said that the period Schettino had spent under house arrest had already had a deterrent effect and he would remain under adequate supervision by authorities.
Schettino is charged with multiple cases of manslaughter, causing the accident and abandoning ship prematurely. A pre-trial hearing was held in Grosseto, near Florence in March. Costa Concordia, which carried more than 4,000 passengers and crew, ran aground off the island of Giglio shortly after leaving Naples.