PHOTO: A United Airlines Boeing 747 taxiing at LAX. (Photo via Flickr/Alan Wilson)
United Airlines is, coincidentally or not, looking for a new Brand Public Relations Manager in its Houston hub.
It doesn’t necessarily seem tied to the Sunday night incident in Chicago in which a man who refused to be bumped from a flight was forcibly dragged from his seat and bloodied in the process.
But in the job description listed on the job site District Daybook, the airline portends to be rebuilding its entire media and public relations department.
“Along with transforming the way United does business, we are reimagining our airline’s award-winning Global Communications Team from nose to tail. Led by former Starbucks Corporate Communications executive, Jim Olson, United is building a state-of-the-art communications function that puts strategic storytelling and digital engagement at the center of our employee advocacy, media and influencer relations, and public affairs capabilities,” United wrote. “The pace is fast, our standards are high and the opportunities are boundless. If joining us in building a forward-thinking, path-blazing, world-class communications team sounds intriguing – let’s talk. Being part of big, transformative moments like this are rare – so, if you have the courage, the creativity, the conviction, the agility, the leadership and most importantly the passion to help United reclaim its reputation as one of the world’s great and resilient companies we hope you’ll consider embarking on this journey with us.”
The job is in Houston because it focuses on the brand PR team that deals with Latin America.
* Manage the development of market announcements and programs
* Lead development and execution of communication plans and messaging, focused on external and internal channels, for all market programs and initiatives
* Drive the development of relevant content/materials, for example, communications plans, talking points, news releases, FAQs and more
* Draw on knowledge of stakeholder needs and communication best practices and ensure alignment with key messages and company positioning
* Plan and implement communications campaigns and events focused on Houston
* Assist with developing themes and messages based on business and local activities
* Conceive and organize stories and events that generate media coverage and brand awareness
* Serve as media relations lead for local market
* Creating and maintaining a favorable image and brand reputation for United in Houston and destinations United serves to Latin America
READ MORE: The Full Job Description