Last updated: 10:00 AM ET, Fri June 03 2016

United Launches America’s Longest Flight: Airline Pulse News and Notes for June 3, 2016

Airlines & Airports | Josh Lew | June 03, 2016

United Launches America’s Longest Flight: Airline Pulse News and Notes for June 3, 2016

Photo courtesy of Thinkstock

United Now Flying Longest Route of Any U.S. Airline
With the launch of its SFO-Singapore service, United Airlines now flies the longest route of any U.S. carrier. The 8,446-mile flight has a scheduled flying time of 16 hours and 20 minutes.

Brussels Air CEO Hopes for Successful Lufthansa Takeover
At the annual IATA conference in Dublin, Brussels Air CEO Bernard Gustin said that he hoped that Lufthansa would take over his company. The German carrier already owns 45 percent of Brussels Air and is reportedly interested in acquiring the other 55 percent through a call option.

Southwest Applies for LA-Cancun Flights
Southwest Airlines has filed an application for nonstop flights between Los Angeles International Airport and Cancun. The low-cost carrier would offer twice-daily service to Cancun on flights that will begin Nov. 6, pending approval.


European LCC easyJet now allows passengers to use Apple Pay both for booking and for additional fees. easyJet has another app that allows for passport scanning, flight tracking and mobile boarding passes. 

Delta is continuing to struggle with its unit revenue figures. One of its main problems is that the U.S. dollar is still strong in some markets, so Delta loses money in the foreign exchange

American Airlines has landed in Montana. This is the first time that the world’s largest airline has touched down itself the the state. It will now offer flights from Bozeman Yellowstone Airport to Dallas Fort Worth. From Dallas, of course, Montana fliers can connect to American’s worldwide network of routes.  

According to CEO Alain Bellemare, Bombardier has turned a corner after its major order from Delta. Speaking at the annual IATA conference, Bellemare said “"We are confident that we will continue to see orders from the likes of Delta in the future.”


You may use your Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook information, including your name, photo & any other personal data you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on Click here to learn more.

Sandals Resorts: The 5-Star Luxury Included Resorts

Hotels & Resorts