US Airlines Improve On-Time Percentage From Last Year
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
On Wednesday, the United States Transportation Department released a study that found an average of 78 percent of flights on major airlines in America arrived on time during the month of June.
According to NBCNews.com, the on-time percentage has increased from the 74.8 percent the airline industry amassed in June 2015, but still down from the 83 percent on-time rate from May 2016. Any flight that lands within 14 minutes of its scheduled arrival time is considered on time.
In terms of complaints from passengers, there were 1,492 filed in June, which was down from the 2,048 filed during the same month last year. The June numbers were an increase from the 1,134 complaints received in May of this year, though.
Some of the top causes for delays were late-arriving aircraft, aviation system issues, maintenance or crew problems and extreme weather.
The U.S. Transportation Department also compiled a list of the top airlines in the country based on their on-time percentages from June 2016, via NBCNews.com:
1. Hawaiian Airlines, 91.1 percent
2. Alaska Airlines, 86.4 percent
3. SkyWest, 84.6 percent
4. Delta Air Lines, 83.4 percent
5. United Airlines, 79.2 percent
6. Express Jet, 78.1 percent
7. Frontier Airlines, 75.6 percent
8. JetBlue Airways, 74.4 percent
9. Southwest Airlines, 74.3 percent
10. Spirit Airlines, 73.0 percent
11. Virgin America, 72.6 percent
12. American Airlines, 72.4 percent
For more Airlines & Airports News
More by Donald Wood
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
Airlines & Airports