PHOTO: MSC Meraviglia under final construction at STX France. (Photo courtesy of MSC Cruises)
Initially, it was assumed that MSC Cruises’ next ship to launch, the MSC Meraviglia, would remain primarily in Europe. Then came the announcement that the ship would eventually make it to Miami in 2019.
Now that it will be one of a trio of MSC ships sailing from North America beyond that year, there’s much more to be excited for domestically.
In anticipation of its initial christening in Le Havre, France on June 3, 2017, the Mediterranean cruise line has released an impressive list of 100 ship facts—not the least of which are its all-weather design features, making it ideal for the destinations in Alaska or Canada and New England as much as the Caribbean.
About the Ship
1. Meraviglia is Italian for “wonder”.
2. The ship decks are named after the wonders of the world.
3. 15 public decks comprise 355,209 sq. ft. of space.
4. To start, the ship has three home ports: Genoa, Barcelona and Marseille.
5. The ship’s length is 1,034 ft.
6. The Meraviglia carries 5,714 guests at full capacity.
7. The ship’s height is 214 ft.
8. The gross tonnage is 167,000 GRT.
9. The top speed is 22.7 knots.
10. A total of 32 elevators are onboard (19 accessible to guests).
11. On average, 1,540 crew members will service the ship.
12. The ship will be MSC Cruises’ fifth to showcase a Swarovski staircase.
13. The Mediterranean-style promenade is 315 ft. with bars, restaurants and shops.
14. The Meraviglia has an LED Sky Screen for displaying images and entertainment all day long.
15. The ship is made up of about 35,000 tons of steel.
16. Over 1,800 workers built the hull alone.
17. The ship’s interior takes over one year to complete.
18. The hull includes over 300,000 parts.
19. The entire ship is comprised of 50 mega-blocks.
20. From steel-cutting to final delivery, complete building takes 26 months.
21. Two sea trials test the ship’s systems, machinery, engines and pumps.
READ MORE: MSC Cruises Celebrates MSC Meraviglia Construction Progress
22. There are 7 kids facilities onboard, including a technology lab and a television studio.
23. There is a Baby Club designed in collaboration with Chicco.
24. Teens have their own cinema, game room, live stage and disco.
25. There are also 2 kids clubs developed in partnership with LEGO.
26. Cirque du Soleil has crafted a pair of shows exclusively for MSC Cruises.
27. Each week will feature a dozen Cirque du Soleil at Sea performances.
28. The nightly Broadway Theatre seats 985 guests.
29. The ship encompasses 10 dancing areas.
30. The Sports Bar includes a bowling alley with 2 lanes.
31. The ship will present over 20 hours of daily entertainment.
32. There will be three promenade parades every week.
33. Over 24 musicians will perform 40 hours of live music daily.
34. Live international music will be performed by 11 nationalities.
35. Included will be 6 Bands and 3 Soloists among the live music.
36. A television and radio suite broadcasts games, quizzes and talent contests live.
37. There’s a full-size indoor basketball court and evening party venue.
38. The onboard casino accommodates up to 600 guests.
39. There is a 377-sq.-ft. library.
40. At 10,764 sq. ft., the Broadway Theatre is bigger than 2 and a half basketball courts.
41. The ship has 2 F1 simulators available.
42. The ship features a “Star Wars” pod and a flight simulator.
Pools and Aqua Park
43. There are 4 pools, including 1 inside with a magrodome.
44. In total, there is 46,930 sq. ft. of pool space.
45. There are 9 public whirlpools featured onboard.
46. The Polar Aquapark includes 3 waterslides.
47. The “Himalayan Bridge” spans the ship 269 ft. above sea level.
48. The ship has over 1,300 complimentary sun loungers.
49. The aqua park has a champagne flute waterslide.
50. The ship features the most poolside space per guest (of any ship at sea, per MSC).
51. The main pool touts 22 sun beds making contact with the water.
Pampering at Sea and Wellness
52. The MSC Aurea Spa comprises 11,840 sq. ft., featuring 19 massages and 18 body treatments.
53. 26 different facials are available at the spa.
54. The spa has 22 treatment rooms.
55. The Jean Louis David hair salon offers 23 hair treatments.
56. The spa’s thermal has 13 areas such as a salt relax room, ice waterfall, sauna and dark sensory steam bath.
57. The 6,135-sq.-ft. gym features Technogym equipment.
58. The ship features a Power Walking Track.
59. There is a barbershop onboard.
60. There are 2,244 total staterooms onboard.
61. 75 percent of cabins have a balcony.
62. Family modular connected staterooms can cater to up to 10 guests.
63. 8 duplex suites have a private balcony and whirlpool bath.
64. 30 suites have a private balcony with whirlpool bath.
65. 55 staterooms are designed for guests with reduced mobility.
66. There is a 4,306-sq.-ft. medical center.
MSC Yacht Club
67. The MSC Yacht Club features 24-hour concierge service.
68. The club has its own exclusive 130-seat restaurant.
69. Club guests can dine at any time without a reservation.
70. There is a pair of MSC Yacht Club Royal Suites with corner balcony and al fresco dining area.
71. There are 2 MSC Yacht Club Wellness Deluxe Suites with Technogym Kinesis equipment.
72. Club guests have private access to a 5,382-sq.-ft. solarium and pool.
READ MORE: MSC Cruises Has Big Plans for North America
73. A total of 12 dining venues include traditional and casual options.
74. There are 20 bars and lounges onboard.
75. Food is served 20 hours a day.
76. The ship has the first chocolate atelier and creperie at sea by Jean Philippe Maury.
77. The ship will showcase a Kaito Sushi bar.
78. The new Kaito Teppanyaki venue has 4 grills.
79. Ristorante Italiano & Eataly Market features 3 Italian dining concepts.
80. The 2 main dining rooms encompass 14,402 sq. ft.
81. The Marketplace Buffet can accommodate 1,345 guests.
82. The buffet is sized at 38,211 sq. ft.
83. The buffet features a fresh mozzarella-making area.
84. A new flexible dining model provides more timing and venue options.
85. The ship will have an American steakhouse – The Butcher’s Cut.
86. The Brass Anchor will be a traditional English pub with beer, whisky and snacks.
87. The Horizon Bar will offer cocktails with sea views.
Shopping at Sea
88. 300 brands are featured onboard.
89. Over 250 MSC-exclusive products are available.
90. Onboard shopping savings will be 15 percent.
91. The inaugural season will be in the Mediterranean.
92. Over 40 shore excursions are available during a week.
93. The ship visits 6 ports and 4 countries on a 7-night cruise.
94. NFC bracelets unlock staterooms, make payments and reserve restaurants and shows.
95. Guests can geolocate their children with the MSC app, Bluetooth beacons and wearable tech.
96. Guests can embark and disembark with their bracelet and Cruise Card.
97. Virtual reality technology will let guests experience shore excursions in advance.
98. Special engine systems save thousands of tons of fuel annually and lower CO2 emissions.
99. Most of the 80,000 lights onboard are low-energy LED varieties.
100. A special waste system features compactors for efficient management.