Man Sues Royal Caribbean for Negligence in Storm
TravelPulse file photo
Royal Caribbean is being sued by a man who says he was injured on the Anthem of the Seas earlier this month because the company chose to sail the ship in spite of a predicted storm, CNN reported.
Bruce Simpson filed the suit last week in federal court in Miami, asking for compensatory and punitive damages, CNN said. He alleges that he was thrown 18 feet, knocked unconscious and suffered injuries to his face, torso and hands during the storm.
Simpson said there were insufficient emergency services aboard the ship and he was told to wait in his room for the storm to pass, according to CNN.
There were 6,000 passengers and 1,500 crew members aboard the ship, CNN said.
"They took a calculated risk when they sent their passengers into the storm, and we don't think the passengers should be the ones that pay for Royal Caribbean's lack of judgment," attorney Jason Itkin said in a written statement obtained by CNN.
Royal Caribbean said it had not received the lawsuit as of Wednesday and could not comment on the matter, CNN said.
More by Amy Coyne Bredeson
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
Airlines & Airports