‘MasterChef’ Cruise Versus ‘Top Chef' at Sea
Photo by Jason Leppert
The culinary rival between premium competitors Celebrity Cruises and Holland America Line is heating up with the line’s partnerships with “Top Chef" and “MasterChef” respectively. Both cruise lines are well known for their own excellent cuisine, so it’s no surprise that they would showcase the reality television show equivalents onboard.
“Top Chef” at Sea has been running on Celebrity for a couple years now, and the program has a presence on nearly every one of its cruises. Quickfire Challenges allow guests the opportunity to test their own cooking skills, preparing an entree in competition against other passengers, alongside Celebrity chefs on stage. Plus, there is a “Top Chef” Night that features appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts developed by the show’s “cheftestants” to be enjoyed by guests.
READ MORE: Celebrity Extends 'Top Chef at Sea' Program
It’s Signature Sailings are even more special when “Top Chef” players like Nina Compton, Tiffani Faison, Paul Qui and Brooke Williamson actually come along for the ride as I personally experienced. The chefs presented public demonstrations, private cooking classes and even the exclusive chance for some to dine with them and all to have their photograph taken with them. It was a wonderful experience for myself and my culinary arts instructor cousin to partake in. At this time there are no future signature sailings planned, but Celebrity’s website says to stay tuned for details regarding its next one.
Meanwhile, Holland America continues to get in on the action with its own 7-day “MasterChef” Cruise scheduled for November 6-13, 2016 onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Onboard will be winners and runner-ups Claudia Sandoval, Luca Manfé, Elizabeth Cauvel, Leslie Gilliams, as well as “MasterChef Junior” contestants Addison, Zac and Sean. Even the yet-to-be-determined winner of season seven will be on.
The “MasterChef” program may not be fleet-wide on every sailing, but the singular theme cruise is jam-packed with activities. Besides previously scheduled meet-and-greets, book signings, Iconic Mystery Box Challenges, an All Stars Finale “Best of the Best” Competition and Mac-N-Cheese @ Sea Showdown, the following specific events are set to tease guest appetites:
• Taste Test Trivia: guest competition.
• Luca's Pasta 101: Luca will demo perfect pasta making.
• Simple Sushi by Sean: junior contestant Sean will demo easy sushi making.
• The Soul of Mexico with Claudia: Claudia will demo cuisine inspired by her heritage, family and friends.
• Grill Master Leslie: Leslie will share grill tips and tricks.
• Designing a Dinner Party with Elizabeth: Elizabeth will present party food preparation.
• Nacho Battle: audience members will be challenged to create the best nachos for Claudia, Sean and Zac.
• A True MasterChef Dish: the season seven winner will transform a family favorite into a masterpiece.
• The Art of Decorating with Addison & Sean: juniors contestants will share creative baking.
• Relay Race: all-stars will participate in a culinary competition.
• Cupcake Tower Battle: see if you can craft a cupcake tower in less than 30 minutes.
For more Cruise Line & Cruise Ship News
More by Jason Leppert
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
Airlines & Airports