#BrickPony: LEGOLAND’s Life-Size LEGO Ford Mustang
Destination & Tourism | October 11, 2016
Photo courtesy of LEGOLAND
WHY IT RATES: Along with being a tribute to a classic car, this giant-sized LEGO model is a sculptural marvel worth checking out. - Michael Isenbek, TravelPulse Senior Editor
In the spring of 1964, the Ford Mustang’s long hood and short rear deck made it an instant sensation when it was introduced to an eager public. More than a half-century later, LEGOLAND Florida Resort is introducing the American classic to a whole new generation in an awesome way. In association with longtime sponsor Southern Ford Dealers, the vacation destination #BuiltForKids has created a giant version of the original Mustang out of thousands of LEGO bricks.
Here’s the crucial information to know about this one-of-a-kind vehicle:
• The life-size LEGO replica of the so-called “19641⁄2” Mustang V8 coupe was designed and built — brick by brick — by a veteran team of Master Builders at LEGO Systems, Inc., in Enfield, Conn. Altogether, the team has more than 30 years of experience creating dazzling LEGO models seen all over the world.
• The LEGO Mustang is made of 194,900 standard LEGO bricks and DUPLO bricks and measures more than 15 feet long, nearly six feet wide and more than four feet tall. It weighs 1,712 pounds, of which 960 pounds are LEGO bricks and 752 pounds is its flat, aluminum chassis.
• A few surprises were added under its hood, including a virtual horn and the sounds of a real Mustang engine — a first for a life-size LEGO vehicle — plus working headlights and taillights.
• Dubbed #BrickPony, the giant Mustang model made its public debut Sept. 1, 2016, at Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 40th-anniversary celebration of the Mustang Club of America. Admirers included Gale Halderman, a member of the Ford Motor Co. team that designed the original Mustang in the early 1960s, and NASCAR legend Richard Petty. Both men autographed an interior space under the model’s trunk.
• #BrickPony will go on permanent display outside the Ford Driving School attraction at LEGOLAND Florida Resort starting Oct. 1, 2016, and will replace the life-size LEGO Ford Explorer that has wowed guests since the theme park opened Oct. 15, 2011. After a refurbishment, the LEGO Explorer will be installed at an exclusive new location to be announced later.
Fans can follow the story of #BrickPony on The Official LEGOLAND Florida Resort Blog at llfblog.com and with hashtag #BrickPony on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
SOURCE: A LEGOLAND press release
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Features & Advice
Destination & Tourism