City Pulse: The Only Guide To Austin, Texas You Need
While Austin seems determined to keep it weird, we think it might be more apropos to say this destination hot spot keeps it loud. And we mean that in every sense of the word.
This is not the place to come for bland or middling adventures, because everything from the music to the local cuisine is turned up a few notches.
It’s vibrant, eclectic and downright exhausting.
Some destinations offer a respite from everyday stress, allowing peace, quiet and tranquility. Oh, you can find that in Austin if you want, but more than likely you will be thrust into an amazing local culture that will have you tapping your feet and smacking your lips from all the delicious endeavors open to you.
Just say yes to Austin and you will be taken on a whirlwind ride that will make you head spin, but in the best possible way.
With vibrant entertainment and culture, inspiring cuisine and stunning outdoor settings, Austin lets you create a soundtrack all your own. We're home to more than 250 music venues and a vibrant arts scene. So take a look around, and put Live Music Capital of the World on your playlist.
Austin is the capital of Texas, home of the University of Texas at Austin and gateway to the beautiful Hill Country. As the Live Music Capital of the World, the city has a soundtrack all its own. More than 250 live music venues flourish with rock, indie, pop and Tejano. Top notch restaurants with legendary barbecue and farm-to-table cuisine whet your appetite. Shop in the one-of-a-kind boutiques that line South Congress and the 2nd Street district, or head out to hill country to relax in a world class destination spa. More than 300 days of sunshine lend itself to a refreshing dip in Barton Springs or try stand-up paddle boarding on Lady Bird Lake. - Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Public Transit: Capital Metro
Bikeshare: Austin B-Cycle
Walkability Score: 35 at Walk Score
Best Accommodations: (Expedia.com Highest Guest Rated w/ at least 50 Reviews)
Boutique: Hotel Ella (32 reviews but well regarded writer’s pick)
High End: Travaasa Austin
Mid Range: Wyndham Garden Hotel Austin
Bargain: Habitat Suites
Foods to seek out:
Barbecue: Franklin Barbecue – The insane line will tip you off as to how good this place is.
Breakfast Taco: Juan in a Million – Try the renowned “Don Juan” and then go back to bed from your food coma.
Live Music: Top 10 Live Music Venues
Fantastic Food: Top 25 Iconic Austin Dishes
Active Living: Austin Outdoors
NCAA: Texas Longhorns
NBA D-League: Austin Toros
American Hockey League: Texas Stars
1. Afraid of heights? Well, you can downsize the bravery at iFLY Indoor Skydiving.
2. Appreciate local street art at the famed Baylor Street Art Wall.
1. Laze around the awesome setting at Hamilton Pool Preserve.
2. Bar hop on down the eclectic and vibrant 6th street.
3. Enjoy live music in a fantastic setting during the summer concert series Blues on the Green.
1. Captivate the kids with the sight of one-and-a-half million bats taking off at dusk.
2. The Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex boasts skating, bowling, arcade fun and more.
3. Spend a day at Zilker Park, which also allows a moment to cool off in Barton Springs Pool
1. Country Music: Broken Spoke
2. Live Music: The Continental Club
3. Speakeasy Cocktails: Midnight Cowboy
More by Gabe Zaldivar
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
Airlines & Airports