City Pulse: The Only Guide to Chesapeake, Va. You Need
One of the 38 independent cities in Virginia and 41 nationwide, Chesapeake is often overshadowed by nearby Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Nonetheless, the city boasts some of the best things southeastern Virginia has to offer on top of being just a short drive away from Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
In addition to being a nature lover and bird watcher's paradise, Chesapeake is home to the northeast section of the extensive Great Dismal Swamp, and the site of 1775's Battle of Great Bridge.
Situated on the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, Chesapeake was recently ranked among the 50 best cities in America by Bloomberg Businessweek, coming in at 21st in 2011.
Consistently ranked among the country’s top 100 best places to live by Money magazine, Chesapeake’s unique blend of urban and rural settings offer a delightful array of shopping, dining venues, and cultural activities mixed seamlessly with historic sites, secluded waterways, and scenic natural wonders. Situated in the heart of Coastal Virginia, Chesapeake’s convenient, mid-Atlantic location is within 750 miles of two-thirds of the U.S. population, and close to neighboring destinations including downtown Norfolk, the Virginia Beach oceanfront, and Colonial Williamsburg. Chesapeake’s winning combination of accommodations, meeting venues, attractions, and outdoor recreational activities makes it a natural choice among meeting planners, group tour, and leisure travelers.- Visit Chesapeake
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: Norfolk International Airport
Public Transit: Hampton Roads Transit
Bikeshare: None currently available
Walkability: 21 at Walk Score
Parking Options/Expense: Park Me
Best Accommodations: (Expedia.com Highest Guest Rated w/ at least 50 Reviews)
Boutique: Aloft Chesapeake
Mid Range: Hyatt Place Chesapeake
Foods to seek out:
The Cutting Edge Cafe: Whatever menu item you fancy, make sure you grab a side of sweet potato fries to go along with it.
BBQ & Seafood: Whether you're craving jerk chicken, fried shrimp or brisket, the Cutlass Grille is unlikely to disappoint.
She Crab Soup: Warm up for the main course with a cup or bowl at Ddeb's A Taste of Home.
Sports Teams: (Within 10 miles)
AHL: Norfolk Admirals
Triple-A: Norfolk Tides
NCAA: Norfolk State Spartans
NCAA: Old Dominion Monarchs
1. Unwind and decompress alongside nature at the Chesapeake Arboretum.
2. Visit the site of the Revolutionary War's Battle of Great Bridge at Battlefield Park.
3. Grab your clubs and book a tee time at Chesapeake Golf Club.
1. Stroll the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail and take in a rare combination of history and wildlife.
3. Unleash your inner artist at GLaZENFYRE pottery studio.
1. Fish, play, bike, or picnic at Oak Grove Lake Park.
2. Weather permitting, take the kids to Fun Forest.
3. Spend the day on the other side of the Elizabeth River at the Children's Museum of Virginia.
1. Drinks/Music: Check out either two of the Big Woody's Bar & Grill locations.
2. Wine: Enjoy beautiful views of the Elizabeth River and a topflight selection of wine at Amber Lantern Restaurant.
3. Music Venue: Jam out at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion.
More by Patrick Clarke
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions