City Pulse: The Only Guide To Chicago You Need
Chicago is second to nobody.
That will be your first thought while sitting in your plane seat on your way back home, belly full, head foggy from the night before, and memories bombarding your now weary head. If there were a place that tests the limit of an itinerary, this would be it. There are almost too many things to do here, mandating return trips aplenty. There are restaurants from just about every cuisine, that will make you wish you had packed more stomachs. And then there are the myriad attractions like its famed museums, where you can walk off the extra calories. Chicago has the music to tickle the ears, the events to dazzle the eyes, and the people to make you feel right at home. It’s a city that will have you seriously consider whether a holiday anywhere else is even necessary.
Chicago is more than just a big city. Besides its epic skyline, which includes some of the tallest buildings in the world, Chicago has a distinctive coastline, hundreds of vibrant parks, and more than 200 unique neighborhoods. In Chicago you will find incredible shopping on The Magnificent Mile, a Michelin-rated dining scene, and exciting nightlife. The city also vaunts more than 40 museums, five regional Tony Award-winning theaters and, no matter the season, a sports team to cheer to victory. Chicago's neighborhoods represent more than 100 countries, and it's through this diversity and profound culture that makes Chicago home to the country's best restaurants, theaters, and museums.
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Public Transit: Chicago Transit Authority
Bikeshare: Divvy Bikes
Walkability Score: 75 at Walk Score
Best Accommodations: (Expedia.com Highest Guest Rated w/ at least 50 Reviews)
Boutique: Radisson Blu Aqua
High End: The Langham, Chicago
Mid Range: Hyatt Place Chicago South
Bargain: The Willows Hotel
Foods to seek out:
Deep Dish Pizza: Many – There is no more polarizing subject in the city, so it’s best to try a few and find your favorite.
Fine Dining: Alinea – This is arguably the best restaurant in the country, and it’s yours if your itinerary permits.
Music Scene: Venues
Amazing Food Scene: See Deep-Dish Fare above.
Sears Tower (now Willis Tower): Willis Tower
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: Chicago Bears
NHL: Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Chicago Fire
1. There is no better place in the city to unwind than at the historic Wrigley Field, which is a great place to start a pub-crawl after the game.
2. Discover priceless treasures at the renowned Art Institute of Chicago.
3. Take a look at the city from another vantage point as you take a relaxing boat tour.
1. Hop into one of the many vibrant blues joints in the area such as Blue Chicago.
2. Stop by in the summer for a relaxing concert at the Grant Park Music Festival.
3. Dine, shop, and drop serious coin along Michigan Avenue.
1. Catch a bit of vertigo at the famed Willis Tower Skydeck where you can stand in a glass case 99 floors up.
2. An awe-inspiring city tour has to include a stop at the mesmerizing Museum of Science and Industry.
3. Walk the lush ground in the summer, or ice skate in the winter at Millennium Park.
1. Beer: Sheffield’s Chicago
2. Historical Drinking: The Green Mill Cocktail Lounge
3. Live Music: Jazz Showcase
Chicago is (Besides my kind of town):
More by Gabe Zaldivar
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions