City Pulse: The Only Guide to Long Beach, Calif. You Need
Photo courtesy of Aquarium of the Pacific
Long Beach, Calif., less than 25 miles from Downtown Los Angeles, includes a lot of what makes L.A. a top tourist destination, but with less traffic and a more laid-back vibe.
The city of about 470,000 people features plenty of attractions and things to do, including top-notch hotels, historic buildings and ships, nature centers and Japanese gardens, a great beach and cruise scene, and vastly underrated nightlife, from one of the top grossing nightclubs in the United States to a 1920s-style bar, restaurant and events venue.
On top of that, Long Beach is considerably more affordable than L.A. in a variety of areas.
Oh yeah, and it’s in Southern California, meaning it boasts some of the sunniest weather in the country.
Long Beach — an urban waterfront playground — offers the best of California culture, entertainment, shopping and dining, all within a compact, easily-accessible area. Long Beach truly has it all. From the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific to more than 120 downtown dining destinations, plus 11 miles of beachfront, inland waterways and bays. Located in the center of Southern California, Long Beach is just minutes from three major airports and all of the great LA and Orange County attractions. -Visit Long Beach
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: Long Beach Airport
Public Transit: Long Beach Transit
Bikeshare: Bike Long Beach
Walkability Score: 66 at Walk Score
Boutique: Hyatt The Pike Long Beach
High End: The Westin Long Beach
Mid Range: Courtyard by Marriott Long Beach Airport
Bargain: Beachrunners’ Inn
Foods to seek out:
Thai: Thai Gourmet By Sri Maya Fun fact: Long Beach has one of the largest Hmong populations in the United States.
Seafood: Pier 76 Grill
Ice cream: Paradis Fun fact: In 2013, Long Beach consumed the most ice cream per capita in the United States.
Long Beach Legends (American Basketball Association, semi-pro)
Long Beach State 49ers (California State University, Long Beach)
Long Beach City College Vikings (Long Beach City College)
Formula Drift (professional drift racing)
1. Explore the Queen Mary.
2. For a peaceful getaway, check out El Dorado Nature Center.
3. Take the dog for a walk at Rosie’s Dog Beach.
1. Take a cruise to Catalina via the Catalina Express.
2. Take a gondola ride through the Naples neighborhood canals and waterways via Gondola Getaway.
3. Take a stroll through the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden at Long Beach State.
1. Take the kids to the Aquarium of the Pacific.
2. Get up close and personal with whales and dolphins through Harbor Breeze Cruises.
3. Take a helicopter tour of Long Beach and the surrounding area via Los Angeles Helicopters.
1. Party down at Sevilla Nightclub, one of the country’s 50 most grossing nightclubs/bars in 2013.
2. Sing and laugh at Sgt. Pepper’s Dueling Pianos.
3. For a vintage 1920s-style experience, check out The Federal Bar.
Long Beach is:
More by Ryan Rudnansky
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports