City Pulse: The Only Guide To Oklahoma City You Need
Oklahoma City remains an underrated gem hidden beneath other cities that boast calm canals, delightful cuisine and whirlwind adventures.
The truth of the matter is Oklahoma City hits every last aspect of a cosmopolitan destination. From the bubbling vitality of Bricktown to the refined urban oasis of its Paseo Arts District, you will discover more than a holiday respite.
It’s a proud city of amazing people who are happy to engage the friendly traveler looking for a unique experience.
If you are willing to step just a bit from your hotel you will be transported into a rich culture of eclectic cuisine, exciting sport, engaging entertainment and delicious libations to wash it all down.
Oklahoma City is in the midst of an exciting urban renaissance. You can see it in its ever-changing skyline. You can feel it in its buzzing Bricktown Entertainment District. You can hear it from 18,203 of the rowdiest fans in the NBA cheering on the Oklahoma City Thunder. It’s a city that offers all of the culture, cuisine, attractions and amenities you’d expect in a modern metropolis. And with its rugged Western past, working stockyards and title as “Horse Show Capital of the World,” it’s a city that’s rich in cowboy culture as well. - Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: Will Rogers World Airport
Public Transit: METRO Transit
Walkability Score: 32 at Walk Score
Best Accommodations: (Expedia.com Highest Guest Rated w/ at least 50 Reviews)
Boutique: Colcord Hotel
High End: The Skirvin Hilton
Mid Range: Aloft Oklahoma City - Bricktown
Bargain: Tower Hotel Oklahoma City
Foods to seek out:
Onion Burger: Tucker’s Onion Burgers – They take onions seriously in Oklahoma, and this is especially true at the well-regarded Tucker’s.
Livestock: Stockyards City
Equine Festivities: List of myriad horse shows
Bricktown: Famed entertainment area
NBA D-league: Oklahoma City Blue
Triple-A: Oklahoma City Dodgers
1. Toe the line of extreme at RIVERSPORT Adventures in the Boathouse District.
3. Watch the always-exciting Oklahoma City Thunder take on some of the best in the NBA.
1. Have a moment amid lush beauty at the Myriad Botanical Gardens.
2. Take a leisurely boat ride on the Bricktown Canal.
3. The Paseo Arts District boasts 20 galleries perfect for you and your significant other.
1. Have a day of fun and thrills at the Frontier City Theme Park.
2. Dive into the area’s cultural history at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
3. Catching a Thunder game is always at the top of the list, but you will also want to experience a ballgame at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
1. Beer: James E. McNellie’s Public House
2. Cocktails: WSKY Lounge
3. Piano Bar: Michael Murphy’s Dueling Pianos
Okalhoma City is:
Image via WorditOut.com
More by Gabe Zaldivar
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Features & Advice
Destination & Tourism