City Pulse: The Only Guide to San Francisco You Need
It’s hard to say anything that hasn’t already been said before about San Francisco. It’s a true international destination that brings travelers from all over the world, featuring historic attractions such as the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and Pier 39. But the great thing about San Francisco is there is always something new for you to discover. The food is off the charts, serving a variety of cuisines (including many organic offerings). You can walk all day around the city and still want to explore more (you may take some time out to gaze on some gorgeous views). And there’s something for everyone, from families to couples to singles who want to party and listen to great music. Tack on some wonderful hotels (pioneer boutique brand Kimpton Hotels was founded in San Francisco) and you have yourself an incredible experience.
Voted as “Best U.S. City” by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine for 16 consecutive years, San Francisco is best known for its scenic beauty, cultural attractions, diverse communities, and world-class cuisine. Measuring 49 square miles, this walkable city includes landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Alcatraz, and the largest Chinatown in the United States. A stroll of the City's streets can lead from Union Square to North Beach to Fisherman's Wharf, with intriguing neighborhoods to explore. Views of the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay are often laced with fog, creating a romantic mood in this most European of American cities. - San Francisco Travel
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: San Francisco International Airport
Public Transit: San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
Bikeshare: Bay Area Bike Share
Walkability Score: 84 at Walk Score
Boutique: Argonaut Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
Mid Range: Seal Cove Inn
Bargain: Inn San Francisco
Foods to seek out:
Mission Style Burrito: El Farolito
Sandwiches: Ike’s Place
Breakfast & Brunch: Mama’s (Note: Always seems to have a line out the door, but it’s always worth it)
Sourdough Bread: Tartine Bakery
San Francisco 49ers (play in Santa Clara)
San Francisco Dons (University of San Francisco)
San Francisco Bay Bombers (roller derby)
1. Explore Alcatraz, one of the most famous prisons in the world.
2. Explore 1,000-acre Golden Gate Park.
3. Check out the Palace of Fine Arts.
1. Take a stroll on the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge.
3. Stroll around and engage with the locals at Pier 39 on the water.
1. Go on one of SF’s many hiking, biking, bus, cable car, and Segway tours.
2. Take the fam to the California Academy of Sciences.
3. Take the kids to the San Francisco Zoo.
1. Take a hot date to the California Academy of Sciences. The Academy serves drinks and is lit up at night while DJs play in the background.
2. f you want to meet and party with people from all over the globe, Pub Crawl San Francisco is a great choice.
3. If you want to sing your favorite tunes to dueling pianos in a lively environment, go to Dueling Pianos at Johnny Foley’s Irish Pub & Restaurant.
San Fransisco is:
More by Ryan Rudnansky
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions