Most Searched Summer Vacation Destinations
With millions of Americans gearing up to get out of town this summer, TripAdvisor has revealed its Summer Vacation Value Report, analyzing the most popular destinations among U.S. travelers for the upcoming season, as well as what they can expect to pay for lodging, airfare, and food.
For those travelers considering one of the coveted cities, the report dives deeper to single out positively-reviewed value hotels, affordable eateries and restaurants, and free attractions to seek out at each featured destination.
"Ninety percent of U.S. respondents are planning a getaway this summer according to a recent TripAdvisor survey," said TripAdvisor's director of communications Brooke Ferencsik in a statement. "Travelers appear eager to take advantage of the strong U.S. dollar by planning trips abroad, as six of the 10 most-searched destinations on TripAdvisor for summer travel are located outside the U.S."
The value report also reveals the best time to travel, as Ferencsik points out.
"Travelers can find value toward the end of August, when prices tend to dip below their mid-summer peak."
Here's how the list breaks down, counting down from the most searched destinaton for summer travel between June 1, 2015 and August 31, 2015:
1. Las Vegas, Nevada ($2,006)
2. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina ($2,130)
3. Orlando, Florida ($1,716)
4. Cancun, Mexico ($1,959)
5. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic ($2,973)
6. Paris, France ($3,395)
7. New York, New York ($3,164)
8. London, England ($3,962)
9. Playa del Carmen, Mexico ($1,952)
10. Rome, Italy ($3,136)
*average cost for one-week summer trip in parenthesis
While Las Vegas is the most searched destination, Orlando is the cheapest among the top 10 in terms of average cost for a one-week summer trip at $1,716.
On the flip side, London is the most expensive with an estimated cost of $3,962 for a one-week vacation.
That said, here's a look at the ideal week to visit each destination and what travelers can expect to pay for the duration, counting down from the least expensive to the most expensive one-week stay:
1. Orlando, Florida - August 17-23: $1,556
2. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - August 24-30: $1,706
3. Cancun, Mexico - August 24-30: $1,729
4. Playa del Carmen, Mexico - August 24-30: $1,789
5. Las Vegas, Nevada - June 1-7: $1,833
6. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - August 24-30: $2,679
7. Paris, France - August 3-10: $2,920
8. New York, New York - June 29-July 5: $2,922
9. Rome, Italy - August 24-30: $2,935
10. London, England - August 17-23: $3,732
With the exception of Las Vegas (June) and New York (July), travelers heading to this summer's most popular destinations are better off waiting until August based on TripAdvisor's price forecast.
Although you'll have to wait a little longer to put your feet up, in most cases you're likely to save a significant chunk of money.
For more Destination & Tourism News
More by Patrick Clarke
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions