New Los Cabos Director General: 'We are Moving Forward'
Photo by Greg Custer
As the Los Cabos Tourism Board’s new director general and CEO, Ruben Reachi said he plans to usher the destination into a new chapter of growth. “It’s important to talk about the future,” said Reachi, who held the elected position of secretary of tourism for Baja California Sur from April 2011 through June 2015. “Hurricane Odile is in the past and we’re moving forward.”
In all, 3,900 hotel rooms are scheduled to come online by 2017, providing the destination with a total room count of 18,000.
In tandem with that considerable hotel growth, Reachi said he is focused on expanding Los Cabos’ airlift. “The airlift is key. It’s so important to continue to develop the right balance between airlift and hotel inventory,” he said. “We are working hard to extend our network throughout the U.S. and Canada. It represents a big challenge, and it means developing new cities.”
By the end of this year alone, Los Cabos is scheduled to increase its number of air seats by 10.7 percent.
This winter, Delta unveiled new nonstop service from Seattle, and United inaugurated nonstop service from Washington, D.C. In the spring, Spirit Airlines launched service from Houston, and Southwest from Baltimore.
In October, Southwest plans to inaugurate flights from Houston, and Alaska Airline from Orange County, Calif. In December, Delta will resume its nonstop flights from New York.
On the hotel front, Los Cabos will have welcomed six new properties by year’s end. City Express Suites & City Express Plus opened in March; The Cape, A Thompson Hotel in June; and Hampton Inn & Suites in July. The JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa is schedule to debut in October, Mar Adentro by Encanto in November and Breathless Cabo San Lucas in December.
Next year, Le Blanc and Park Hyatt resort are scheduled to make their debuts. In 2017, nine properties are slated to come online, including a Velas resort; Nobu Hotel Los Cabos; VieVage Los Cabos, An Auberge Resort; the Hard Rock Los Cabos; Ritz-Carlton Reserve; Solaz, a Starwood Luxury Collection property; Villa Valencia; Montage Los Cabos; and Grand Solmar Rancho San Lucas.
Reachi noted that the lion’s share of properties damaged by Hurricane Odile, more than 80 percent, are not only back in business, but greatly enhanced. “We need to educate the market that Los Cabos’ hotels are now better than ever,” he said.
The Hyatt Ziva is scheduled to reopen on Aug. 15, the Cabo Azul Resort & Spa on Sept. 30, and the Casa del Mar and El Ganzo on Oct. 1. The Melia Cabo Real is slated to welcome guest back in November and the Westin Resort & Spa in March. A reopening date has not yet been for the Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa.
The destination, which Virtuoso named as its tourism board the year for 2015, is expanding in other areas as well.
Last year, two new courses – the 18-hole Los Cabos, designed by Jack Nicklaus, and the 18-hole El Cardinal Diamante, designed by Tiger Woods – came online, elevating the number of Los Cabos’ courses to 14.
Two more courses are currently under development and scheduled to debut within two years, Reachi said. One will be set on the destination’s Pacific side, at Rancho San Lucas. The other is being developed by Grupo Solmar and Vidanta Group and will be situated on the East Cape.
Going forward, Reachi firmly believes Los Cabos is poised for future success. The destination experienced its best year ever in 2013 when it welcomed 1.7 million visitors. Despite the devastation caused by Hurricane Odile in September, Los Cabos received 1.64 visitors in 2014. This year, Reachi said Los Cabos is projecting a total of 1.8 million visitors.
In 2016, Los Cabos is hoping to grow its visitor numbers to further still, to 2 million. “We are moving forward,” Reachi said.
More by Claudette Covey
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Features & Advice
Destination & Tourism