TripAdvisor Reveals Top Value Getaways for Fall 2015
PHOTO: Bethany Beach, Delaware, earned the top spot for highest value fall getaways. (Photo courtesy of Thinkstock)
Expedia recently revealed a handful of flight and hotel deals for the fall shoulder season. Now, TripAdvisor has unveiled its 30 highest value getaways for the 2015 shoulder season, highlighting destinations where travelers can save the most on vacation rentals this fall.
Although many of the destinations are beach-centric and therefore much more popular during the summer months, they each feature attractions that extend beyond the shore. What's more, many of these destinations are far less busy come September and October, which can make for a more relaxed trip.
Bethany Beach, Delaware earned the top spot on TripAdvisor's list this year, boasting an average savings of 77 percent compared to the peak summer season.
Fort Walton Beach, Florida; North Topsail Beach, North Carolina; Surfside Beach, South Carolina and Port Isabel, Texas round out the top five for 2015.
Vacation rental savings in those places range from 40 to 52 percent this time of year.
Familiar summer retreats including Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Ocean City, Maryland and Kiawah Island, South Carolina were also featured in the top 10. Vacationers are likely to save as much as 37 percent in each spot along the Atlantic Coast.
Here's a look at how the top 30 panned out for 2015:
1. Bethany Beach, Del. 11. Pawleys Island, S.C. 21. Sun Valley, Idaho
2. Fort Walton Beach, Fla. 12. Gulf Shores, Ala. 22. Orange Beach, Ala.
3. North Topsail Beach, N.C. 13. Perdido Key, Fla. 23. Pensacola Beach, Fla.
4. Surfside Beach, S.C. 14. Miramar Beach, Fla. 24. South Padre Island, Texas
5. Port Isabel, Texas 15. Hilton Head, S.C. 25. Solana Beach, Calif.
6. Myrtle Beach, S.C. 16. Virginia Beach, Va. 26. Oceanside, Calif.
7. Ocean City, Md. 17. San Diego 27. Cape May, N.J.
8. Kiawah Island, S.C. 18. Martha's Vineyard, Ma. 28. Dennis Port, Mass.
9. Edgartown, Mass. 19. Seagrove Beach, Fla. 29. Ketchum, Idaho
10. Destin, Fla. 20. Panama City Beach, Fla. 30. Seattle
San Diego and Seattle were the only two major cities to make the list, ranking 17th and 30th, respectively.
Despite their reputations as popular year-round destinations, travelers eyeing a fall escape to either West Coast metropolis in 2015 can expect to save anywhere from 21 to 30 percent on their rental compared to what they would have paid this past summer.
Of the 30 featured destinations, Ocean City possesses the lowest average vacation rental review score on TripAdvisor at 3.98 out of 5. On the flip side, Solana Beach, California is the leader in that category with an impressive average rating of 4.93 out of 5.
Breaking down the list, Florida led the way with seven destinations among the top 30, while South Carolina was a close second with five destinations. Elsewhere, Alabama, California, Idaho, Massachusetts and Texas each boast multiple destinations on the list this year.
More by Patrick Clarke
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions