Carnival Splendor Passengers Robbed Near Puerto Vallarta
Twenty-two passengers from the Carnival Splendor were robbed by a lone armed assailant during a guided nature trail excursion in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on Feb. 23. There were no injuries and all guests returned safely to the ship, Carnival Cruise Lines said in a statement. The tour in question has been suspended until further notice. Authorities were notified and are investigating and assisting the guests. Carnival said it is working with guests to reimburse them for lost valuables and assist with lost passports or other forms of identification.
“Carnival sincerely apologizes to its guests for this very unfortunate and disturbing event and is providing its full support and assistance,” the company said.
Earlier this month, the U.S. State Department issued a detailed travel warning about Mexico. For the state of Jalisco, where Puerto Vallarta is a major city and travel destination, the State Department recommended travelers defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas due to gun battles between criminal groups and authorities, but did not specify Puerto Vallarta as a threat.
Several cruise lines last year cancelled calls at Mazatlan after crimes against passengers, but Princess Cruises also avoided Puerto Vallarta. However, Princess did include Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan on 2012 itineraries from Los Angeles and San Francisco. TravelPulse asked Princess if the ports would remain on the itineraries but did not immediately hear back over the weekend.
Carnival Splendor operates year-round seven-day cruises from Long Beach, Calif.
For more information on Carnival Cruise Lines, visit Carnival Cruise Lines.
For more Features & Advice News
More by Theresa Norton Masek
More Features & Advice News
Recent Travel Opinions