Gas-Saving App Releases Best Cheap Road Trips for Spring
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
With spring just around the corner (we hope), plenty of travelers are gearing up to go on an epic road trip.
And, fortunately for travelers, not only are gas prices down, but GasBuddy— an app that helps users find cheap gas—has also rounded up a list of some of the most affordable and desirable road trips for Spring 2015.
GasBuddy recently released a list of some of the best road trips in the country to take this spring season via its Trip Cost Calculator, which scans for the cheapest gas stations and most pragmatic routes.
On top of that, the national average price for a gallon of gas as of Feb. 25 was $2.332, over $1.09 cheaper than it was on Feb. 25 of last year.
“For over six years we have been weary of hitting the road with prices pushing $4 a gallon,” said Allison Mac, a GasBuddy petroleum analyst. “Although prices are ticking back up because of seasonal changes, overall they are still cheaper than where they were in years past. This is the time to break out of winter’s hibernation and see some of the amazing places this country has to offer.”
Whether you are desperately seeking some sun (ahem, East Coast residents) or you have been fortunate enough this winter to actually want to travel to cold and snowy destinations in the spring, here’s a look at some of GasBuddy’s best road trips, accounting for gas costs. All routes are about $200 or less in a mid-sized SUV (you can also enter the make, model and year of your car in the Trip Cost Calculator to get a more personalized price).
Searching for Sunshine
Midwest and Northeastern residents: Head for Florida
1. Philadelphia, PA to Orlando, FL ($167 round-trip)
2. Boston, MA to Daytona Beach, FL ($201 round-trip)
3. Chicago, IL to Panama City Beach, FL ($158 round-trip)
Northwestern residents: Head to Las Vegas and Southern California
1. Portland, OR to Huntington Beach, CA ($197 round-trip)
2. Seattle, WA to Santa Cruz, CA ($168 round-trip)
3. Denver, CO to Las Vegas, NV ($120 round-trip)
Powder and Snow
West Coast residents: Head north
1. Los Angeles, CA to Park City, UT ($123 round-trip)
2. San Francisco, CA to Jackson Hole, WY ($151 round-trip)
3. Phoenix, AZ to Aspen, CO ($118 round-trip)
East Coast residents who can’t get enough cold weather:
1. Chapel Hill, NC to Stowe, VT ($133 round-trip)
2. Gainesville, FL to Lake Placid, NY ($211 round-trip)
3. Atlanta, GA to Bretton Woods, NH ($194 round-trip)
More by Ryan Rudnansky
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Features & Advice
Destination & Tourism