How Mexico Is Spicing Up Its Comedy Scene
Illustration courtesy of Thinkstock
As a country that’s legendary for its events and celebrations, Mexico continues to lure travelers who enjoy a good laugh that provides a pleasant reprieve from life’s more serious side. From comedy clubs to laugh fests, the country generates laughs that make any vacation even more fun.
Formerly Comedy Below Sea Level, Comedy Playa is home to humor in the resort town of Playa del Carmen. Founded in September 2011, this primo source of stand-up comedy features a growing list of events starring comedians from the U.S., Canada and the U.K. Located upstairs at Lucky Luciano on the corner of 28th and 5th Avenue, the venue inspires grins, giggles and guffaws in shows at 8 p.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays.
In Mazatlan, Mazatlan Comedy Club is an exciting new addition to the vibrant cultural scene. Each month from November through March, the club presents a highly entertaining night of clean stand-up talent in the state-of-the-art Venados Showroom at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. The first-class roster features from the U.S. and Canadian performs that have each appeared on prime time TV shows and at famous comedy clubs across the globe.
Currently on the books are Jason Love & Maria Herman (Nov. 13), Rick Pulido and Cheryl Anderson (Dec. 11), Corny Rempel (Feb. 12, 2017), and Mrs. Hughes and Jack Mayberry (March 12, 2017).
“Just For Laughs” Hits Royalton Riviera Cancun
In a week where U.S. citizens will either be high-fiving or perhaps boo-hooing with the 2016 Presidential Election culmination on Nov. 8, guests at Royalton Riviera Cancun's second annual smile-inducing “Just For Laughs Resort Week” will be bombarded with plenty of reasons to laugh – regardless of their political affiliation.
Slated for Nov. 6-12, this week long humor fest will feature an impressive line-up of stand-ups who are on the heels of one of the world’s largest and most prestigious comedy festivals in Montreal. Guests staying at Royalton Riviera Cancun and Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun can enjoy Resort Week antics free of charge.
The Nov. 8 performance will pair levity with unlimited cocktails while tuning into U.S. history as it unfolds on Election Day 2016. In partnership with the world-famous comedy brand “Just For Laughs,” Resort Week will take it from snickers to belly laughing via a rotation of family-friendly magic shows, impromptu pranks from comedians throughout the day and complimentary nighttime performances.
The festival’s eight stellar comics include:
- Finesse Mitchell – This Saturday Night Live alum has an impressive resume that also includes Disney’s A.N.T. Farm and BET/Centric’s According To Him & Her.
- Orny Adams – Rising to international prominence after co-starring in Jerry Seinfeld’s documentary Comedian, Adams has also appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Late Show with David Letterman.
- Godfrey – Among the more dominant forces in the comedy circuit, Godfrey recently starred in the FX pilot Bronx Warrants. This adds to his onscreen credits that include ZOOLANDER, 30 Rock and a recurring role on Louie.
- Graham Chittenden – A familiar face at the “Just For Laughs” festival, Graham has appeared in such comedy specials as his Comedy Now! that aired on The Comedy Network.
- Debra DiGiovanni – Receiving the Canadian Comedy Award for Best Female Comic for the third time in five years, DiGiovanni was also a finalist in NBC’s hit show Last Comic Standing.
- Ben Seidman – This magician and prankster who co-starred on Travel Channel’s Magic Outlaws was also the Resident Magician at Mandalay Bay (Las Vegas) following three seasons of creating magic on Criss Angel – Mindfreak.
- Yannis Pappas – The current host of AOL’s Original Series, 2 Point Lead, Pappas was also the co-host of MSG’s sports fan show, The Bracket and host of ABC’s Fusion Live on the Fusion Network. He is also widely known for his immensely popular characters Mr. Panos and Maurica.
- Adam Ferrar – This actor and stand-up comedian who starred on Showtime’s hit series Nurse Jackie also hosts the critically acclaimed BBC sensation, Top Gear US that airs on HISTORY. Ferrara has also played Chief Needles Nelson on the Emmy nominated FX drama series Rescue Me.
It’s no joke that through Oct. 14, fun lovers can reserve four- and seven-night VIP "Just For Laughs Resort Week" All-In Luxury packages. Laughs aside, package perks include:
- All-inclusive, double occupancy room rate that covers unlimited food, beverages and activities
- One night backstage access for a comedian “Meet & Greet”
- Nightly preferred VIP seating
- Glass of sparkling wine upon arrival at shows
- Exclusive “Just for Laughs” gift
Royalton Luxury Resorts’ All-In Luxury vacations provide such perks as the brand’s unlimited Reservation-Free Luxury Dining, signature handcrafted DreamBed, a Sports Event Guarantee, All-In Connectivity and entertainment for all ages.
Catering to adults only, Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun offers the four-night plan with a Luxury Junior Ocean View Suite for $1,499 per room, with an upgrade to a Diamond Club Luxury Ocean View Swim-Out Suite available for an additional $300. The seven-night package is $2,399 per room, with $700 additional for the room category upgrade.
Welcoming guests of all ages, the family-friendly Royalton Riviera Cancun offers a four-night Luxury Junior Ocean View Suite package for $1,399 per room. Upgrading to the Diamond Club Luxury Suite Ocean View with Terrace Jacuzzi category is $200 additional. The seven-night plan is $2,199 per room, with the category upgrade for $300 additional.
For both seven-day packages, a Sunday-to-Sunday stay is restricted to travel dates of Nov. 6-13. Four-day plans can be tapped into on any consecutive-night preference within those same November dates.
For additional "Just For Laughs Resort Week" details and package bookings, visit RoyaltonResorts.com/en/riviera-cancun.
Chuckles in Los Cabos
Always guaranteed to “leave them laughing,” the annual Cabo San Lucas Comedy Festival "Where The Land Ends And The Laughs Begin" is slated to unfold in the Baja destination in May or June 2017.
In a casual atmosphere where fans can interact with the stars, the five-day comedy fest features performances by some of the entertainment industry's most laugh-inspiring stand-up comics, plus a “Breakthrough Talent” competition that showcases opening act-level performers.
Shows are themed into categories that include headliners, rising stars, events and musical variety acts. Some of television’s top comedy shows are represented by producers, cast members and writers who collaborate during panel discussions addressing the genre’s business side.
While venues are still pending, the 2017 edition is expected to include some of the destination’s top nightclubs, restaurants and bars that may include the likes of Hard Rock Café, La Divina Bar, Baja Brewing Company, Knotty, Junkie and Desperados.
Check CaboComedyFestival.com for updates.
More by Dawna L. Robertson
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship