Report: 20 Percent of All Money Spent on Travel Comes From Mobile
Photo courtesy of Adobe Digital Index
This past week, Adobe released their annual Digital Index Travel Report, which analyzes an overwhelming 15 billion visits to major U.S. travel, airline, and hotel sites between 2013 and 2015, producing some great observations about what is going on in the travel industry.
This past year, one in five travel bookings was done on mobile, which was up six percent from the previous year. This year travelers are expected to spend close to $65 billion on travel, up about seven percent from the year prior.
Some other interesting take-aways from the report include:
• Flight prices are down four percent year-over-year for first four months of 2015.
• Hotel prices are up five percent year-over-year for first four months of 2015.
• Booking flights 60 days prior to departure can save an average of 17 percent, and as much as 32 percent.
• The best time to book an economy hotel ($120 or less per night) is 40 days prior, which nets a 15 percent average discount; 30 days out is the best time for higher-end hotels, with a 2.5 percent average discount.
• The top destinations for bookings/social mentions are Washington D.C., Los Angeles, and New York City.
One other interesting take-away from the report: one out of three vacationers will purposely travel to a place with limited or no mobile connection to “unplug.” Even with the uptick in mobile bookings, Adobe Digital Index is forewarning marketers about the unplugging trend.
“Marketers may want to rethink their strategies, reducing the focus on tactics such as mobile search,” said Tamara Gaffney, principal at ADI. “Our recommendation is that marketers fine-tune their social media strategies to place less of an emphasis on mobile.”
To mobile or not to mobile may be the question, but there is no doubt that keeping a mobile friendly web presence is lucrative. To the tune of about $13 billion total earnings via that form of transaction.
Check out the full report enbedded below:
For more Features & Advice News
More by Tom Bastek
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions