Last updated: 04:30 PM ET, Thu July 28 2016

AccorHotels to Acquire Concierge Service Provider John Paul

Hotel & Resort | Patrick Clarke | July 28, 2016

AccorHotels to Acquire Concierge Service Provider John Paul

PHOTO: The Novotel Lombok, part of the AccorHotels group. (photo courtesy of AccorHotels) 

AccorHotels announced this week that it has entered exclusive negotiations to acquire concierge service provider John Paul.

Europe's largest hotel group said it expects to acquire 80 percent of John Paul for approximately $150 million in equity and debt. John Paul founder and CEO David Amsellem will retain the remaining 20 percent of the company and stay on as John Paul's chief executive.

Wednesday's announcement from AccorHotels comes on the heels of a handful of recent acquisitions and serves as another move by the world's fifth-largest hotel group to combat the growing threat posed by home-sharing platforms like Airbnb.

Less than four months ago AccorHotels purchased luxury vacation rental company onefinestay for $169 million.

Founded nearly a decade ago, John Paul merged with LesConcierges last year. The company, the first technology enabled concierge, partners with some of the world's top travel brands, lending its workforce of 1,000 people to provide a personalized guest experience.

Partners benefit from a concierge who's available round-the-clock, seven days a week, anywhere in the world. 

READ MORE: AccorHotels Completes Acquisition of FRHI

"Now that we are the worldwide leader in premium loyalty solutions, we feel that we are at a tipping point in our venture and we need the empowerment of a strong leader to support the current traction," said Amsellem in a statement. "Entering the travel industry supported by AccorHotels means much more to the 1,000 people of the John Paul Group: we feel that combining our strengths will create a game changer in the industry."

In his own statement accompanying Wednesday's news, AccorHotels Chairman and CEO Sebastien Bazin said, "the acquisition of John Paul enables us to accelerate our global strategy to position the customer experience at the very heart of our initiatives."

"Their expertise in customization, combined with a wide range of services and cutting-edge technology, gives us the opportunity to boost the value of the relationships with our guests and partners and multiply the number of touch points," added Bazin. "It means a further solidification of our customer relations through an attractive offer and a higher usage; an increased personalization of our services thanks to a deeper customer profiling with non-hotel driven information; and the strengthening of our CRM with affinity data."

Bazin concluded that the acquisition would position AccorHotels to be the best "provider of multi-nature services to guests."


You may use your Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook information, including your name, photo & any other personal data you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on Click here to learn more.

Sandals Resorts: The 5-Star Luxury Included Resorts

Hotels & Resorts