PHOTO: Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas. (Photo via Flickr/Adrian C.)
Trivago.com recently set out to determine which accommodations really are America's best in the eyes of travelers.
By analyzing user ratings from nearly three dozen different hotel, booking, and review sites, the global hotel search platform created the trivago Rating Index (tRI). A tRI of 100 represents a perfect score.
"We aggregate and analyze more than 175 million hotel reviews from websites all over the world. This gives us strong insights into what hotels are particularly good at," trivago's Managing Director Johannes Thomas said in a statement. "Our trivago awards recognize those hoteliers who deliver an exceptional experience to their guests, and we are proud and delighted to award those achievements."
No destinations do luxury quite like Chicago and Hawaii, based on the results of trivago's research of user ratings.
The Windy CIty claims two of the top seven five-star properties for 2017, while Hawaii features a pair of properties in the top 10. The western U.S. also features prominently on the list of the best five-star hotels.
1. The Langham; Chicago, Illinois
2. Bardessono; Yountville, California
3. Fairmont Grand Del Mar; San Diego, California
4. Wentworth Mansion; Charleston, South Carolina
5. Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas; Las Vegas, Nevada
6. Cannery Pier Hotel & Spa; Astoria, Oregon
7. The Peninsula Chicago; Chicago, Illinois
8. Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea; Wailea, Hawaii
9. Montage Kapalua Bay; Lahaina, Hawaii
10. The Grand America Hotel; Salt Lake City, Utah
The southern U.S. is a cut above the rest when it comes to producing some of the best upscale hotels, according to trivago's research. South Carolina features two of the top four four-star hotels, while Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and Arkansas are all represented in the top 10.
READ MORE: Are These the World’s Best Hotels?
Charleston's French Quarter Inn earned the highest tRI score of any hotel at 96.27, even beating out the five-star Langham, Chicago.
1. French Quarter Inn; Charleston, South Carolina
2. Woolley’s Classic Suites; Aurora, Colorado
3. Marquesa Hotel; Key West, Florida
4. The Restoration; Charleston, South Carolina
5. Cedarbrook Lodge; Seattle, Washington
6. The Inn at Christmas Place; Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
7. Fort Conde Inn; Mobile, Alabama
8. The Oxford Hotel; Bend, Oregon
9. 21c Museum Hotel Bentonville; Bentonville, Arkansas
10. The Bavarian Lodge; Leavenworth, Washington
When it comes to mid-level hotels, Hilton Worldwide and its Hampton Inn brand dominate the top 10 for 2017. Hampton Inn properties account for four of the top 10, while Hilton is represented by half of the list.
1. Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis – South I-55; St. Louis, Missouri
2. Drury Plaza Hotel Nashville Franklin; Franklin, Tennessee
3. Inn on the Cliff; St. George, Utah
4. The Sewanee Inn; Sewanee, Tennessee
5. Morris Inn; South Bend, Indiana
6. Almond Tree Inn; Key West, Florida
7. Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo; Buffalo, Wyoming
8. Hampton Inn Wheeling; Wheeling, West Virginia
9. Homewood Suites by Hilton – Dallas/Allen; Allen, Texas
10. Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown; Portsmouth, New Hampshire
As far as alternative accommodations are concerned, the Southeast reigns supreme, boasting the top two and four of the top 10 for 2017.
New England also fared well with online reviews, representing three of the top eight properties.
1. Stonehurst Place; Atlanta, Georgia
2. Black Dolphin Inn; New Smyrna Beach, Florida
3. Adobe Grand Villas; Sedona, Arizona
4. Canyon Villa Bed & Breakfast Inn of Sedona; Sedona, Arizona
5. Admiral’s Landing; Provincetown, Massachusetts
6. China Clipper Inn; Ouray, Colorado
7. The Almondy Bed & Breakfast Inn; Newport, Rhode Island
8. Benchmark Inn; Provincetown, Massachusetts
9. Eight Gables Inn; Gatlinburg, Tennessee
10. The Cuthbert House Inn; Beaufort, South Carolina