American Express Travel Expands on Hotel Brands
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
American Express Travel has announced the addition of 281 new global hotel properties to its FINE HOTELS & RESORTS and The Hotel Collection programs this year, introducing a select group of best-in-class properties that deliver valuable benefits and exceptional experiences for Card Members.
American Express Travel said it has a rigorous screening process for these properties and accepts only a small percentage of hotel applicants into its programs each year. A variety of factors are used to assess the properties; those with the best product offering, most exceptional service and highest Card Member satisfaction are invited to join the programs.
“Our Card Members are avid travelers who expect a certain travel experience, whether they’re on a once-in-a-lifetime international adventure trip or spontaneous weekend getaway in a nearby city,” said Allison Beer, vice president, strategic partnerships, American Express Travel.
“To ensure we’re exceeding their expectations and offering the very best selection of hotels in our programs, we carefully analyze aggregated card spend data, independent property evaluations, and most importantly, the direct feedback we receive from our Card Members,” said Beer.
FINE HOTELS & RESORTS, established 25 years ago, added 129 new properties for 2016. Properties from three new brands will also be added to CENTURION FINE HOTELS & RESORTS: Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, and the Oetker Collection.
These brands join existing CENTURION brands Aman, Belmond, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, The Peninsula Hotels, and St. Regis. FINE HOTELS & RESORTS also introduced four new trending destinations to its luxury portfolio, including Mendoza, Argentina; Bogota, Colombia; Fes, Morocco, and Algarve, Portugal.
The new FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties include:
• The Miami Beach Edition, a design-focused lifestyle resort located on a private enclave in the heart of Miami Beach
• Boutique hotel Zero George Street, established in five restored early nineteenth century residential buildings and offering 18 guestrooms and suites in the heart of Charleston’s historic district
• Eden Rock – St Barths, an intimate hotel perched on a rocky expanse above a white-sand beach and featuring two restaurants from acclaimed chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
Additionally, FINE HOTELS & RESORTS introduced new collections, designed to match travelers with their ideal accommodations, highlighting establishments that fall within three distinct areas:
• Boutique—intimate hotels and resorts, usually independently-owned and with less than 75 rooms
• Design—properties that emphasize art and a singular - usually contemporary, design aesthetic
• Card Member Favorites—properties that Card Members know, love and would recommend highly to other Card Members
Platinum Card Members who book with American Express Travel and stay at a FINE HOTELS & RESORTS property receive added benefits and services to elevate their stay, including guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout; room upgrade upon arrival, when available; daily breakfast for two; noon check-in when available; complimentary Wi-Fi, and an additional special amenity unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people.
Launched in 2013, The Hotel Collection also expanded its global portfolio by 152 hotels and added two exclusive benefits for Platinum and Gold Card Members. With enhanced marketing and a new online platform, Card Member bookings at The Hotel Collection properties grew more than 300 percent in the first quarter of 2016, according to American Express Travel.
The Hotel Collection is made up of a mix of properties, many located in popular domestic and international urban destinations including Miami, New York City, London, Paris, and Rome.
ard Members who book The Hotel Collection with American Express Travel receive the following benefits at participating properties when they stay at least 2 consecutive nights:
• $75 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa and resort activities
• Room upgrade upon arrival, if available
• Card Members receive these additional benefits with The Hotel Collection when they book at www.americanexpress.com/hc2: The ability to use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of their hotel stay, and two times Membership Rewards points per eligible dollar spent
The Hotel Collection offers “Lowest Hotel Rate Guaranteed,” with rates for the collection starting at $150 per night at select properties. New hotels in the portfolio include Thompson Playa del Carmen, The Muse New York a Kimpton Hotel and Boscolo Excedra Roma.
More by Robin Amster
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
Airlines & Airports