Loving Life In Grand Bahama
PHOTO: The pool at the Grand Lucayan Bahamas. (Courtesy Grand Lucayan Bahamas)
If you are contemplating a trip to Grand Bahama Island, you won’t have to worry about being bored at all while you are there.
This incredible island destination features a wide array of attractions and activities, many of which you can reach by staying in the heart of everything at the Grand Lucayan Bahamas.
Here are 10 you should add to your agenda:
1. Explore the beaches. It will come as no surprise that beaches are a big draw here. You have your choice of picturesque beaches, including those geared toward family activities as well as the more secluded options that are perfect for couples.
2. Head underwater. While you are strolling along the beaches, you may also want to seize the opportunity to participate in some of the many water sports available. Scuba diving is popular here, as you can see many types of exotic fish and ocean life. Other options include sailing, boating, windsurfing and parasailing.
3. Enjoy exciting nightlife. There are plenty of entertainment offerings, including a 14,000-square-foot casino that boasts 200 slot machines. There are also many bars and nightclubs, so you can find any type of music and entertainment to fit your taste.
4. Connect with nature. This island is full of many of Mother Nature’s wonders, including 18 of the 28 species of Bahamian birds that are not seen in the U.S., Canada, or Europe. Join in on one of the eco tours that also combine activities such as horseback riding or kayaking.
5. Get a taste of local cuisine. The many restaurants on the island offer you a wealth of opportunities to try out the local flavor, including of course many types of seafood. You can also book a culinary tour to develop your own Bahama cooking skills.
READ MORE: Exploring The Grand Lucayan Resort
6. Share some romantic time. This setting seems custom-designed for romance and tranquility. Stroll along the beach or board a sunset cruise for a great view of the stunning landscape. This is also a great locale for a destination wedding or honeymoon.
7. Get a history lesson. The region has a rich history and a unique culture, so it would be a shame to visit without learning at least a few of the highlights. Grand Bahama’s Lucayan National Park boasts one of the world’s largest underwater cave systems, and is also where you can find artifacts left behind by some of the island’s earliest settlers.
8. Celebrate at a festival. The island has many exciting and vibrant festivals, so it might be wise to try and time your visit to coincide with one of these events. Pelican Point Coconut Festival, for example, is a celebration of all things coconut.
9. Go on a shopping spree. No matter what kind of shopping you crave, you can find it here. Even better, 11 categories of luxury items are now duty-free. There are plenty of small shops where you can buy unique items handmade by local craftspeople.
10. Hook the catch of the day. Not surprisingly, fishing is a major draw to this area. Grand Bahama is considered one of the top destinations for sport fishing. Join an expedition with an experienced guide to greatly increase your odds of catching a fish you’ll be bragging about for years.
More by Bobbi Dempsey
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship