Alleged Spiked Drink Sends Tourist to Hospital in Greece
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
A 21-year-old British tourist collapsed one week ago, after she was allegedly poisoned on the popular resort island of Zakynthos, Greece, the Daily Mail reported Saturday.
Hannah Powell is still undergoing tests and treatment at a hospital in the Peloponnese after fainting, going blind and going into kidney failure following a night of partying, according to the Daily Mail.
READ MORE: Greece
The newspaper reported that Powell was on vacation with friends and had been drinking cocktails in the resort of Laganas vacation, which is known for its wild bar scene. The newspaper also said that Greek press had reported that Powell had been given drinks spiked with cheap alcohol.
Powell supposedly felt fine at the end of the night, but she slept for 48 hours and was unable to see when she awoke, the Daily Mail said.
READ MORE: Santorini
Zakynthos has had a problem with spiked drinks, also known as bombes, being served at bars, clubs and resorts, the newspaper said. Bombes are made with cheap, often homemade liquor that some say can lead to methanol poisoning, resulting in partial blindness.
Head of the Kidney Clinic at the University Hospital, Patra, Dr. Dimitris Goumenos told the Daily Mail that Powell’s condition was much more serious than methanol poisoning.
Powell has supposedly made significant progress since the incident, but it is not known if her kidneys and eyesight will recover completely, according to the newspaper.
More by Amy Coyne Bredeson
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship