Last updated: 07:00 PM ET, Tue August 25 2015

Auckland Hotel Evacuated Due to Toxic Fumes

Impacting Travel | Barry Kaufman | August 25, 2015

Auckland Hotel Evacuated Due to Toxic Fumes

Photo via Twitter/NZHerald

The Hotel Grand Chancellor in Auckland, New Zealand, was evacuated at 11:10 a.m. local time this morning due to reported toxic fumes coming from one of the guest rooms.

One guest was found dead in conjunction with the evacuation, removed from the same room from which the fumes originated. The New Zealand Herald identified the man as 58-year-old Mark Lawrence Ivil, noting that he had been due in court that day in connection to his role in a $4.2 million property scam.

At least 12 vehicles from the local fire service, as well as numerous personnel in white hazmat suits, were witnessed at the scene as guests were evacuated, and a decontamination zone was set up.

At least 10 further guests were assessed at the scene and released. By 2 p.m. local time, emergency personnel had given the all clear signal to re-enter the building.

Speaking to the New Zealand Herald, a spokesman for Grand Hotels International said, “The reported incident was not caused by the hotel and all hotel operations have now resumed as per normal. The hotel management team would like to reassure all hotel guests that the hotel is fully operational and guest bookings will not be affected due to this incident. "

Radio New Zealand reporter Kim Baker Wilson was on the scene sharing images on Twitter

For more information on New Zealand

For more Impacting Travel News


You may use your Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook information, including your name, photo & any other personal data you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on Click here to learn more.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Treating Customers Special

Car Rental & Rail