Last updated: 10:00 AM ET, Tue March 08 2016

Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Trial Against Nashville Marriott

Impacting Travel | Patrick Clarke | March 08, 2016

Erin Andrews Awarded $55 Million in Trial Against Nashville Marriott

Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images

A jury awarded sportscaster Erin Andrews $55 million in her civil trial against the owner and operator of the Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University and her stalker, Michael David Barrett, the Tennessean reported.

Andrews was seeking $75 million in damages, accusing the hotel's owner, West End Hotel Partners, its operator, Windsor Capital Group and Barrett of negligence, infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy. 

After seven hours of deliberation, the jury ruled Barrett to be 51 percent responsible and assigned the hotel the remaining 49 percent of the blame. As a result, Barrett has been ordered to pay out $28 million, while the hotel's owner and operator are responsible for the remainder.

READ MORE: Couple Awarded $83K in Lawsuit Over Hotel Fire Alarm

Following the verdict, Andrews released a statement expressing her gratitude for all the support she received over the course of the two-week trial.

Monday's verdict comes nearly eight years after Barrett filmed Andrews in the nude through a peephole from the room next to hers at the Nashville Marriott. The footage was eventually uploaded to the Internet and Barrett was sentenced to 30 months in prison after being found guilty of stalking.

Last week, Andrews gave an emotional testimony, telling the court she now suffers from bouts of depression and sleeplessness.

While the lawsuit has undoubtedly cast Marriott International in a negative light, the hotel company was found to be not liable since it doesn't own or operate the hotel.

In a statement released Monday, Marriott provided a breakdown the case facts and said it's "sympathetic to the ordeal" Andrews has gone through. The company also reiterated its commitment to guest safety. 


You may use your Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook information, including your name, photo & any other personal data you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on Click here to learn more.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Treating Customers Special

Car Rental & Rail