Malaysia To Send Team To Maldives To Examine Debris
The Malaysian government said Sunday it is sending a team to the Maldives to examine objects that apparently washed up on shore, leading to speculation that the debris could be from missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370.
But this time, Malaysian officials aren’t being so committal.
After a piece of a wing washed up in the Reunion Islands two weeks ago and was sent to France for examination, the Malaysian Prime Minister put out a statement last week saying the piece of debris “conclusively” came from MH370.
But French prosecutors refused to say definitively if the flaperon, a piece of the wing, was from the missing flight, saying it was a likelihood but declining to say “conclusively.”
This time, Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong is erring on the side of caution after images published in a newspaper in the Maldives showed what appeared to be several small objects.
"We will be dispatching a team to the Maldives to view the debris as well as conduct preliminary verification of the debris," Liow said in a statement. "Undue speculation will only stress the families and loved ones, anxiously awaiting news on this matter.”
MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. It veered wildly off course, lost radio contact, and is believed to have crashed in the Indian Ocean.
More by Rich Thomaselli
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Features & Advice
Airlines & Airports
Destination & Tourism