PHOTO: Malaysia Airlines prayer vigil. (Photo via Twitter)
Several family members of passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 have revealed plans to make a trip to Madagascar next month in hopes of finding debris from the missing plane.
The Associated Press reports the group of seven family members will finance their own trip to Africa Dec. 3 through Dec. 11, focusing on the area in and around Ile Saint Marie off of Madagascar's east coast, considered to be areas of high potential.
So far, investigators have discovered at least a half of a dozen pieces of debris tied to the doomed Boeing 777, which was carrying 239 people and traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it mysteriously vanished in March 2014.
"Despite these hugely important finds, there has been no systematic, organized search by any responsible party. This leaves the (next-of-kin) no other choice except to take it upon ourselves to do something to find answers and closure," the family association known as Voice 370 said in a statement.
Grace Subathirai Nathan, whose mother Anne Daisy was aboard the flight, told the AP that the group also aims to "mobilize the fishing villagers and coastal population to be on the constant lookout for new debris that could become new credible evidence."
Expansive ongoing search efforts in the southern Indian Ocean have so far come up empty and are likely to be suspended next month when crews complete their 46,000-square mile search.
Earlier this month, a report released by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) presented evidence supporting the theory that the aircraft was out of control before crashing into the Indian Ocean.
As recently as September, several of the victims' family members met with the ATSB in hopes of discovering new evidence that would extend the search.