(Photo via Flickr/Tony Webster)
One child has died and at least 12 others were rushed to area hospitals today after being exposed to carbon monoxide at a Michigan hotel.
Hotel workers at the Quality Inn and Suites in Niles, Michigan called local authorities around 10 a.m. local time Saturday morning after they noticed several children lying unconscious near the hotel’s indoor pool area. Others were apparently also found at a breakfast area near the pool.
Another child was also reportedly found unconscious in their hotel room. That child told first responders that she had just returned from the pool area. Also treated for exposure to the poisonous gas were one hotel worker and several police officers.
Niles Police Chief Jim Millin said the carbon dioxide monitor readings indicated the gas levels at the hotel were 800 parts per million, about 16 times higher than the 50 parts per million that the building code deems a safe level.
“Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless,” said Wise in an interview with NBC affiliate WNDU. “You'll wind up getting flu-like symptoms, vomit, then go unresponsive, but there isn't much time between getting nauseous and going fully unconscious."
A faulty pool heater caused the leak said officials after an investigation. The pool area had no carbon monoxide detectors to warn guests of the leak.
The hotel was evacuated after the leak and remains shut down pending further investigation.