PHOTO: Paris Las Vegas. (Photo via Flickr/Richard Martin)
Thousands of guests and employees were forced to evacuate from the Paris Las Vegas resort Thursday when workers in the basement accidentally cut into the main power line shortly before 10 a.m. local time.
Clark County spokeswoman Stacey Welling told the Associated Press that the entire resort lost power, including the 2,900-room hotel, casino, restaurants and shops.
In total, approximately 3,000 guests and employees were evacuated Thursday.
The full evacuation went into effect at the four-star French-themed casino hotel around noon Thursday when the resort's fire alarm system battery power ran low and a backup generator failed.
KVVU journalist Adam Herberts reported that nearly a dozen people had to be rescued from elevators inside the resort.
"It's pitch black in there," Caesars Entertainment Corp. spokesman Rich Broome told the AP. "The building will stay evacuated until all power is restored and fire officials declare it safe."
"It's frustrating for us," he added. "Much more frustrating for our guests."
The AP reported displaced guests and those just arriving to check-in were directed to the adjacent Caesars-owned Bally's Las Vegas Hotel. There, company officials were assisting them in finding available rooms at hotels along the Strip.
Broome told the AP that Caesars promised to help guests who had to miss or change flights or were forced to leave their belongings in their rooms.
The Paris Las Vegas confirmed the unexpected outage and said power was in the process of being restored in a statement released late Thursday night.
UPDATE: we thank everyone for their patience and apologize for the inconvenience! pic.twitter.com/b7rB2NVVCE— Paris Las Vegas (@ParisVegas) November 4, 2016
In the early morning hours of Friday guests were seen making their way back to their rooms.
Mike Shoro of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that as of Friday morning all of the resort's hotel rooms were once again open.