Last updated: 10:19 AM ET, Sun August 16 2015

Queen Mary 2 Crewmember Goes Overboard, Passengers Help Search

Impacting Travel | Michael Isenbek | August 15, 2015

Queen Mary 2 Crewmember Goes Overboard, Passengers Help Search

Photo courtesy of Twitter/londonleben

UPDATE: 10:09 am ET 8/16/15

The Associated Press reported that the search for the missing crewmember has been called off as per an announcement by Cunard. The cruise line said experts determined the individual had passed the point of potential survival in the chilly Atlantic waters. 

"We therefore have to presume that he died in the water," Cunard said in a statement via the AP. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, which has been informed, as well as friends and his colleagues on board."


Tragedy struck off the coast of Canada’s Maritime Provinces Saturday morning when a 26-year-old Queen Mary 2 crewmember went overboard, The Telegraph reported.

Flagship of the Cunard cruise line, the cruise liner departed Southampton, England this past Tuesday en route to New York with a prior stop in Halifax, Nova Scotia slated for Monday. But off the coast of Newfoundland, "We have clearly established that the crew member went overboard (there) earlier this morning," Cunard said in a statement to The Telegraph. The ship turned around, retracing its steps to search for the missing individual, the line added, but foggy weather made this difficult.

Passenger Konstantin Binder provided an account of the search, which involved a number of his shipmates, in a series of tweets.  

Binder’s first tweet at 10:40 a.m. mentioned Captain Kevin Oprey’s announcement that the ship was turning around. The next tweet said the captain asked the passengers to go to their balconies or deck 7 to help search. The captain added, "every pair of eyes helps." Binder estimated that “hundreds” of his shipmates and crew were scanning the water.

Cunard did not explain further what had happened, but said it is working closely with local authorities.

The Canadian military has taken the reins in the hunt. Joint Task Force Atlantic tweeted that the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre, “tasked QMII and container ship Milan Express to conduct ongoing search. Foggy conditions do not permit aerial search at this time.”

For more information on Newfoundland

For more Impacting Travel News


You may use your Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook information, including your name, photo & any other personal data you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on Click here to learn more.

Honeymoon in St. Maarten With Sonesta Resorts

Hotels & Resorts