Travel Warning Issued for Miami's South Beach Due to Zika Virus
Photo courtesy of ThinkStock
On Friday, Florida Governor Rick Scott announced that health officials have identified the popular tourist destination of South Beach as the second place of Zika transmission on the United States mainland.
Scott told the media five Zika infections have been linked to South Beach and the surrounding area. The total area is less than 1.5 square miles.
According to FoxNews.com, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded its Zika travel warning for pregnant women to the South Beach area—previously only included the Miami's Wynwood arts district—as a result of the latest findings.
Of the five cases of the Zika virus, two of the people were residents of Miami-Dade County and the other three were tourists from New York, Texas and Taiwan.
“Today the department of health has learned through one of their investigations that five individuals that have already been confirmed as cases of local transmission of Zika are connected to the Miami Beach area,” Scott said in a press conference.
As a result of the findings and the travel warnings, officials in Miami-Dade County have ordered a massive mosquito eradication plan to prevent the virus from spreading any further. Thus far, 33 of the 557 recorded Zika virus infections in Florida stem from local transmission within the state.
The presence of the Zika virus in the South Beach area could be devastating to the tourism industry. In 2015 alone, the popular tourist destination hosted 15.4 million visitors and made an estimated $24 billion.
More by Donald Wood
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports