PHOTO: Omni Bedford Springs. (photo courtesy of Collette)
WHY IT RATES: Not only are these hotels prime examples of architectural beauty, set in gorgeous locales, they were also lodgings for a veritable who’s who iconic celebrities and dignitaries. -Michael Isenbek, TravelPulse Senior Editor
“During this tour, our guests will walk in the footsteps of celebrities and dignitaries through our lineup of opulent and grand hotels of the eastern United States,” said Jaclyn Leibl-Cote, Vice President of Product at Collette. “This itinerary provides a hands-on look into archaically significant hotels and the historic events they have hosted. Four out of the seven hotels featured in this package are even known to be haunted!”
• Spending 10 days exploring America’s history and scenic landscapes on this tour that showcases the grand hotels of the eastern United States.
• Setting off to Saratoga Springs, New York, home to the famed racetrack, for time to explore its tree-lined streets, charming shops and restaurants.
• Enjoying a stay at the Omni Shoreham in Washington, D.C., a hotel that has seen many celebrities and dignitaries over its more than 80 years including Judy Garland, The Beatles and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
• Exploring Woodstock, named the “quintessential New England village” and full of true Americana, including a covered bridge and a lovely village green lined with historic homes.
• Stopping at “Fallingwater,” Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous creation that is now a National Historic Landmark in Bedford Springs, Pennsylvania.
• Traveling to New York’s beautiful Hudson River Valley and pausing along the way in the charming historic city center of Bethlehem, named on Christmas Eve by the Moravians who settled here in 1741.
• Leisurely enjoying a tour of the Omni Homestead Resort in Hot Springs, Virginia, which opened ten years before the Declaration of Independence was signed and has hosted presidents, royalty and celebrities over the years.
• Setting off on an adventure to explore the local trails of Hot Springs, Virginia by mountain bike at your own pace.
• Being amazed with the traditional white steeple churches, quaint villages and unspoiled tree-covered mountainsides dotting the landscape when visiting the “Green Mountain State” (VT).
• Understanding the birthplace and lifelong home of Franklin D. Roosevelt in Springwood Estate as you receive a first-hand look into this important president’s history.
• Stepping into the 200-year-old Omni Bedford Springs Resort boasting eight mineral springs on its property that have been a popular retreat for the rich and famous since its opening.
• Embarking on a guided tour of Washington, D.C., affording wonderful views of the Mall, the White House, monuments and museums.
• Enjoying a tranquil stay at the Equinox Resort & Spa in the bucolic town of Manchester, Vermont.
• Coming to know the long history of the iconic U.S. Military Academy at West Point that dates back to the Revolutionary War, while on a tour with an expert guide.
• Settling in for a two-night stay at the luxurious 250-year-old Omni Homestead Resort. In the evening, gather for a cocktail followed by dinner in one of the resort’s timeless restaurants.
• Spending some free time in Bethlehem, New York, discovering its rich history and browsing the shops.
• Visiting the moving World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Memorial in Washington, D.C., ending with a photo stop at the U.S. Capitol building.
• Soaking up the warm, rich mineral waters in the springs near the Omni Resort that Thomas Jefferson enjoyed centuries ago.
• Crossing the border into historic Boston, Massachusetts and following a local guide through this historic city on a sightseeing tour featuring the Old South Meeting House, Public Gardens, Old North Church, Beacon Hill and the famed Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
• Stepping back in time during dinner at a charming historic tavern dating back to the 1700s.
• Experiencing the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum, the first of its kind in the country, and discover the story of this fascinating man and his dynamic wife who won the heart of the American people.
• Visiting Hildene, the Lincoln Family Home and the former home of Robert Todd Lincoln, the only adult child of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln and former Chairman of the Pullman Company.
• Unwinding during a leisure afternoon in Hot Springs as you enjoy some of the amenities at your resort, which include golf, spa treatments, and falconry; or, simply relax and take in the beauty of your surroundings.
• Starting at $3,649 per person, land only, double occupancy.
SOURCE: A Collette press release