Web Gems: More Myths About Travel Agents You Shouldn't Believe
We love to see the word getting out there that travel agents are alive and well and thriving.
The narrative that travel agents went away with the rise of online travel agents like Expedia has been incorrect and has caused the travel agent industry to spend a lot of time fighting negative PR.
So we were happy to see this story from Yahoo Travel and MiniTime, getting the word out on some of the most common misconceptions about travel agents today.
Writer Karen Hayoun made a number of great points, including:
- highlighting the idea that agents have specific areas of expertise;
- refuting the idea that no one uses travel agents anymore, pointing to numbers from the American Society of Travel Agents that show agents are more vital than ever in booking vacations;
- travel agents can be useful even if you're just booking a flight;
- travel agents have not been replaced by the Internet. The Web gives us more information than ever, but that makes agents more useful than ever, as the resource that cuts through the glut of options out there;
- making it clear that travel agents won't cost you a lot in comparison to the value they provide;
- travel agents can book any help you find the best deals for every component of your trip, from flights and hotels to tours and excursions.
For more Travel Agent News
More by Tim Wood
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship