Shannon Wolf | September 16, 2015 9:00 PM ET
Prague: Stunningly Inexpensive Must-See Europe
PHOTO: One of the many magnificent panoramic views of the city you can never get sick of staring at. (photos by Shannon Wolf)
With so much to do, so much to see and places to drink, you will need at least a week in this astonishing city! You will be stunned at how far your money will stretch and though it is among the top must-see destinations in Europe (which also means touristy), there are still many incredible hidden gems to be discovered.
Cheapest Hostel: Hostel Marabou (€11.23 a night on weekdays, €15.16 a night on weekends for a dorm)
Best Hostel: Sir Toby (€15.16 a night on weekdays, €17.55 a night on weekends for a dorm)
After couchsurfing throughout Europe, I decided to treat myself by booking two nights in this top rated hostel and it was worth every penny (even though, it’s not a lot for all you get). Wonderful staff, great amenities, free BBQ nights (that means free food) and easy to meet people here. Highly recommend!
• Large, comfy dorm rooms with privacy curtain and reading light
• 24-hour reception/security/key card access
• Large, well equipped kitchen with “free food” shelf
• Common room
• Elevator/wheelchair accessible
• Fast Wi-Fi throughout hostel and dorms
• Hot showers
• Large lockers/luggage storage
• Beautiful outdoor terrace with plenty of seating/BBQs
Free Things to Do
Time Saving Tip: To beat the crowds, head to tourist locations early in the morning or later in the evening.
• Relax in one of the many well-maintained parks such as Riegrovy Sady, Petrin, Letna, Havlickovy Sady or Stromovka.
• Climb the 300-step Petrin Observation Tower for great views (aka: Eiffel Tower knock-off).
• Take in the impressive architecture all around and from the Strahov monastery for a great view.
• Check out Wallenstein Garden (Valdstejnska zahrada).
• Go Medieval at Prague Castle (Prazsky Hrad).
• Visit the Jewish Quarter: Josefov.
• Wander through the Old Town Square.
• Visit the colorful John Lennon Wall.
PHOTO: For anyone in love with the Beatles, the John Lennon Wall is an inspiring display of peace, love and lyrics that you can write on too!
• Synchronize your watch with the Astronomical Clock — it rings every hour from 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Stroll across the Charles Bridge at sunrise.
• Most Fun: The Lucerna Music Bar (80s/90s music)
• Most Overrated: Cross Bar (famous for its visual appeal)
• Near Charles Bridge: Karlovy Lazne (Five different floors of music)
• Relaxed Bar: Cafe Bar Propoganda (cheap drinks)
• Unique Bar: Kino Svetozor (underground bar in a cinema)
• Alternative Bar: U Vystrelenyho oka (Rock bar)
EAT and Drink
• Knedliky — bacon dumplings
• Pivni syr — beer cheese
• Trdelnik — traditional pastry
• Beer to try: Velkopopovicky Kozel
• Top coffee place: Muj Salek Kavy
• Chocolate: Choco Cafe
• Best vegetarian restaurant: Lekha Hlava
• Best Fresh Produce: Jiriho z Podebrad Farmers’ Market
There are SO MANY great things to do that if I wrote them all, you’d be reading for days, so here are my top picks:
• Fall in love with the romantic streets of Novy Svet, which isn’t overrun by tourists! (Nestled below the Loreto and at the head of Stag Moat).
• Discover the gorgeous hidden areas of Prague such as the gorgeous park Vojanovy Sady where peacocks roam around the gardens, Petrin Hill and Arbesovo Namesti.
PHOTO: The enchanting Vojanovy Sady was even more complete with peacocks proudly roaming around.
• Head to the south side’s “Little Hanoi” — Prague’s authentic Vietnamese market.
• Keep an eye out for some “alternative” street art — with giant babies, peeing statues and naked ladies littered throughout the city thanks to the controversial sculptor David Cerny.
• Prague is known for its incredible cheaper-than-water beer. Needless to say, check out the beer gardens: Letna and Riegrovy Sady.
• Pack a picnic, grab a beer, play some music and catch the sunset along the Naplavka Riverbank or in one of the many parks.
• Watch the sunset from the top of Vyhlidka Riegrovy Sady, Charles Bridge or Vitkov Park.
• Take a daytrip to the impressive Bone Castle Kutna Hora or Karlstejn Castle.
More by Shannon Wolf
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Latest Travel News
Airlines & Airports
Airlines & Airports
Hotel & Resort
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
- Features & Advice
- Impacting Travel
- Cruise Line & Cruise Ship
- Hotel & Resort
- Airlines & Airports
- Car Rental & Rail
- Destination & Tourism
- Tour Operator
- Vacation Packages
- Travel Technology
- Travel Agent
- Host Agency & Consortia
- Business Travel
- Travel Tribe
- Digital Events & Seminars
- Hotel Rewards
- Travel Agent Academy
- Agent Studio
- RSS Feed
- Daily Newsletter
- Subscribe Agent@Home
- Subscribe Vacation Agent