If you're anything like me, you're hesitant to stay away from home too long for one reason: leaving behind your beloved canine companion. Imagining them sitting alone at home (or, worse, locked in a strange and scary boarding facility kennel) wondering why you've abandoned them and whether you're ever coming back. The separation can be heart-wrenching for you and potentially traumatic for your devoted doggo for whom you are the center of the universe.
So, what if there were someplace that would welcome your four-legged sidekick and afford them many of the same courtesies as their human counterparts? Plenty of people are eager to bring their pets along on their travel adventures, but it isn't always easy to plan visits to places where they'll be welcome.
North San Diego County's City of Carlsbad is just the type of beachy, boho-chic, affluent destination the California coast is known for cultivating, and it's already a pretty pet-friendly community overall, as residents' dogs routinely accompany their people around town thanks to pleasant year-round temperatures.
But, this season, Visit Carlsbad is orchestrating a new pet-friendly program, designed to make bringing your fur babies along on your travels a breeze. Coinciding with late February's 'National Love Your Pet Day', the destination marketing organization recently kicked off its Spring 2023 'All Paws Lead to Carlsbad' initiative.
It's a citywide celebration of the destination's pet-friendly places and experiences, and the coordinated campaign makes it easy for prospective visitors to plan a pet-inclusive getaway by assembling a variety of businesses and venues with one thing in common: they all extend an extra warm welcome to companion animals and their owners.
Now through May 2023, Carlsbad hotels, restaurants, attractions, shopping centers and retail businesses are uniting their efforts to showcase their particular pet-centric offerings, putting them front and center, and educating visitors on products, accommodations, activities and experiences that pets and their parents can enjoy together.
More than 20 participating local businesses and venues are currently rolling out the red carpet for dogs and their humans with special events, programs, packages, discounts and perks.
Below are some program highlights, including several world-class area hotels that provide pet-friendly accommodations, amenities and special pet perk extras.
- Cape Rey Carlsbad Beach, a Hilton Resort and Spa - This luxury resort is hosting fun, pet-friendly activities, three "Yappy Hours" at its oceanview fine-dining restaurant, Chandler's, on a couple of upcoming Wednesdays: April 5 and May 3, 2023, from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. The gatherings include a 'Puppy Chow' menu with fancy doggie fare, pup-tails, games and more fun for furry friends to enjoy while their people partake in a human Happy Hour.
- The Cassara Carlsbad, Tapestry Collection by Hilton - The Cassara is offering a "Pet-cation" package for guests from now until the end of May, including a goodie bag containing treats, water, a toy ball and a roll of scented potty bags. The resort does enforce a 25-pound weight limit for its four-legged guests and accepts a maximum of two pets per room, in addition to requiring a non-refundable pet deposit.
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa - The property offers a 'Bark and Park' package, inclusive of complimentary self-parking, waived pet fees for up to two dogs and a special gift for your canine companions.
- Park Hyatt Aviara Resort & Spa - The resort is offering complimentary pet amenities for guests' furry friends, including a dog bowl, bed and a complimentary Park Hyatt Aviara-branded dog bandana. There's also an in-room pet menu featuring special dog treats that are handcrafted on-site by the culinary team. It's also featuring a special "Bark at the Park" cocktail at Pacific Point, Ponto Lago, and Ember & Rye, with 10 percent of sales being donated to the San Diego Department of Animal Services location in Carlsbad.
- Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach - This newly renovated, pet-friendly hotel just celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a "Yappy Hour" for with special treats, games and fun for guests and their pets.
In addition to Carlsbad's many pet-friendly accommodation options, the 'All Paws' initiative is also supporting all sorts of activities for pet parents to enjoy alongside their four-legged companions.
For a full listing of and details of paw-some activities and pet-friendly places to visit during your trip to the SoCal seaside haven of Carlsbad, check out Visit Carlsbad's 'All Paws Lead to Carlsbad' campaign page.
For the latest travel news, updates and deals, be sure to subscribe to the daily TravelPulse newsletter here.
Topics From This Article to Explore