Harmony of the Seas Loads Up on Entertainment and Activities
Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean International
Royal Caribbean International keeps upping its game in the entertainment arena, especially with the likes of the fully immersive Two70° venue and shows aboard the Quantum and Anthem of the Seas. Now the company is preparing to unveil the largest cruise ship in the world – the Harmony of the Seas – and a massive lineup of entertainment and activities to go with it.
Nick Weir, Vice President, Entertainment, Royal Caribbean International says, “we are taking entertainment to the next level on Harmony of the Seas with more captivating, immersive entertainment experiences than ever before. The level of innovation that has gone into our latest lineup is truly mind blowing, and Harmony guests can expect the unexpected with our biggest, most awe-inspiring stage yet."
This first includes the all-new “Columbus, The Musical!” show in the 1,380-seat Royal Theatre. The performance joins the previously announced Broadway show “Grease,” previewed in video here.
The stage show is an original Royal Caribbean production similar in tone to "Spamalot" and "Something Rotten." The narrative is set to follow Marvin Columbus, a fictitious cousin of Christopher, who has been exiled from his family's kingdom and heads out to make his own mark on history. It's a family-friendly comedy romance set in the Caribbean thanks to expert set design.
Similar to those on the preceding Oasis and Allure of the Seas, an acrobatic AquaTheatre complete with two 10-meter high dive platforms and a hydraulic-floored pool will also be featured on the Harmony of the Seas. The pool and dive platforms will be the largest and deepest freshwater variety at sea and will feature two shows outlined below:
• “The Fine Line” – a 360-degree experience featuring wild costumes (designs sketched below), intense stunts and aerial acrobatics performed by extreme-sport athletes.
• “Hideaway Heist” – an action-packed comedic dive show set in a 1950’s holiday resort and populated by "guys ‘n’ dolls." An undercover detective, disguised as a high-rolling vacationer, is in pursuit of a burglar. It's a fun crime caper at the Hideaway Resort.
Also twisting above the AquaTheatre will be the newly announced Ultimate Abyss, a pair of the world’s tallest slides at sea.
Also along for the ride will be the state-of-the-art (shouldn’t that be “skate”-of-the-art, pun intended) Studio B, Royal Caribbean’s signature ice skating rink and entertainment venue, with ultra-high def multimedia video and two new ice shows, “1887” and “iSkate Showcase.”
• “1887” will be an original show onboard with love and adventure in Paris on Feb. 14, 1887 along the frozen River Seine. In the time of Jules Verne, Juliet and the Tempus time traveler journey through the wonders of the world and multiple dimensions, as world-class skaters combine with high technology.
• And “iSkate Showcase,” according to the line, will be, “a Studio B ice show unlike any other where Royal Caribbean’s talented skaters put their best blade forward in a dazzling showcase of their very best moves set to their own favorite tunes. The cast goes rogue and anything can happen!”
The Royal Promenade central mall also returns with new theme nights and parades listed below:
• “Totally Awesome '90s” – following the popularity of the Promenade '70s Party will be the new '90s-themed event complete with teen pop, dance-pop and hip hop music spun by a live DJ. Additional elements include pop-up performances and neon track suits.
• “Let’s Celebrate!” – this parade is a showcase of all celebrations including Halloween, Birthdays, St. Patrick’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Fourth of July and New Year’s Eve in one fun show.
Rounding out the entrainment and activities onboard the Harmony of the Seas will be a real-life room escape game, party and roaming pianist described as follows:
• “Puzzle Break: Escape the Rubicon” – in order to be set free, players must join together to discover hidden clues and solve interactive puzzles of the Rubicon in 60 minutes or less. This time around, the experience will take place in a dedicated venue designed along with ShowFX Inc., a custom source of Hollywood engineering, design and entertainment equipment.
• “Red Party” – this extravagant evening party features DJs, surprise performances, special effects and technology.
• “Stowaway Piano” – the pop-up piano player first debuted on Anthem of the Seas and now will be on the Harmony in surprising locations around doors, corners, the pool or even in the elevator.
Plus, the On Air Club will be home to karaoke, the High Cs Horns will be a horn-led nine-piece orchestral symphony and new nighttime The Attic will host live comedy and music onboard.
If Royal Caribbean International’s other recent entertainment offerings and shows like “Spectra’s Cabaret” in Two70° on its newest Anthem of the Seas are any indication of what can be expected here on the Harmony of the Seas, then these shows and events are likely to be buzz-worthy too. From no other cruise line has such a lavish list of entertainment been recently announced, but Carnival Cruise Line’s IMAX theater and Holland America Line’s in-the-round World Stage onboard the forthcoming Carnival Vista and Koningsdam respectively are also set to bring fresh concepts to the forefront of cruise entertainment this year.
More by Jason Leppert
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions