Royal Caribbean International Takes Delivery of the World’s Largest Cruise Ship
Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean International
Royal Caribbean International has taken delivery of the world’s largest cruise ship – the Harmony of the Seas – from the STX France shipyard in Saint Nazaire, France. A flag-changing ceremony also celebrated the 32-month completion of the ship’s construction
The event took place at Harmony’s AquaTheater with Richard Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International and Laurent Castaing, general manager, STX France.
“Harmony of the Seas is the product of our zealous spirit of continuous improvement, where we have combined revolutionary ship design with the technological strides that have defined the Royal Caribbean brand,” said Fain. “Thank you to STX France for their ongoing partnership in building our ships, which continue to introduce unexpected industry innovations.”
Sister ship to the slightly smaller Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas before her, Harmony is the 25th ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet and sets sail with a number of fresh and favorite features, among which are statistically highlighted by the line here:
• The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea with a 100-foot drop down 10 stories from deck 16 to the Boardwalk on deck 6.
• 4,700,000 lbs. or 2,150 tons of water filling 23 swimming pools, whirlpools, a pair of FlowRider surf simulators, three Perfect Storm waterslides, and the Splashaway Bay waterpark.
• The imaginative Wonderland specialty restaurant from the Quantum-class ships in a double-decker iteration.
• Broadway musical “Grease” in the Royal Theater and diving shows in the AquaTheater.
• 11,252 pieces of art ship-wide and the living Central Park’s 10,587 plants, 48 vine plants and 52 trees.
• VOOM high-speed internet connection for streaming and sharing.
RELATED VIDEO: Harmony of the Seas Finalizes Construction and Sea Trials
“Harmony is truly magnificent in every sense of the word, from her architecture and design to the level of care and attention to detail with which our incredible crew are taking to prepare for our first guests,” said Bayley. “The ship is the ‘best of the best’ of what our guests love most about Royal Caribbean, combined with new and thrilling experiences never before found in one place but it is the passion and dedication of our crew that will make everlasting memories for our guests.”
Harmony of the Seas will first depart on 34 week-long western Mediterranean cruises beginning on June 7, 2016. Then come November, the ship will sail from Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale on seven-night eastern and western Caribbean voyages.
For more Cruise Line & Cruise Ship News
More by Jason Leppert
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports
Cruise Line & Cruise Ship