City Pulse: The Only Guide to Boulder, Colo. You Need
PHOTO: Pearl Street in Boulder (courtesy James Shillinglaw)
Boulder, Colorado is not only known as an outdoor adventurer’s haven, but it also sports some great restaurants, breweries, and family-friendly attractions.
The city of about 100,000 residents is full of health and wellness enthusiasts, as well as foodies, given its natural surroundings and focus on farm-to-table, organic cuisine.
You’ll also find some entertaining nightlife venues, whether you’re in the mood for a concert, a show, a Shakespeare play, or a festival.
Marijuana tourism has also become a big part of the city’s economy, given Colorado’s recent legalization of the Cannabis plant.
Tack on the state’s accommodating nature toward visitors (Colorado Tourism was named the Best U.S. State Tourism Bureau at the first annual Travvy Awards), and you have yourself a mighty popular destination.
“Cresting the hill on Highway 36 into Boulder, it's easy to see why this intriguing town has been dubbed ‘the city nestled between the mountains and reality.’ At 5,430 feet above sea level, acres of vast open space roll into Boulder's quaint cityscape tucked into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.” –Boulder CVB
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: Boulder Municipal Airport
Public Transit: Regional Transportation District (RTD)
Bikeshare: Boulder B-cycle
Walkability Score: 56 at Walk Score
Parking Options/Expense: Best Parking
Boutique: Hotel Boulderado
High End: Renaissance Boulder FlatIron Hotel
Mid Range: The Bradley Boulder Inn
Bargain: Hampton Inn & Suites Boulder-North
Foods to seek out:
Farm-to-Table: The Kitchen Boulder
Breakfast & Brunch: Lucile’s
Italian: Frasca Food and Wine
Colorado Buffaloes (University of Colorado)
2. People-watch and stroll around Pearl Street Mall in Downtown Boulder.
3. Take one of the area’s many Segway tours.
1. Go on a hot air balloon ride over Boulder’s scenic landscape.
2. Attend one of the many Shakespeare plays at the acclaimed Colorado Shakespeare Festival in the summer.
3. Take a delightful tour, from food tours to winery and brewery tours.
1. Explore Fiske Planetarium.
2. See a show at Boulder’s Dinner Theatre.
3. Take the kids to Gateway Park Fun Center.
2. Party at the subterranean Walrus Saloon.
3. Catch a concert or festival at Fox Theatre.
More by Ryan Rudnansky
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions
Airlines & Airports