City Pulse: The Only Guide to Seattle You Need
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
Seattle not only offers a great city scene, but its closeness to nature — whether at city parks or in the great outdoors — catapults it even further into the spotlight.
Seattle has become one of the major tourist destinations — for those originating both domestically and abroad — because it attracts many different types of travelers based on its wide range of offerings.
You can hang out at the world-famous Pike Place Market. You can watch a premier NFL team in the Seattle Seahawks. You can stroll around several magnificent parks and museums. And there is a vibrant foodie and nightlife scene.
On top of that, if you like to walk around, you’re in luck. Seattle’s layout positions it as one of the most pedestrian-friendly cities out there.
“What makes Seattle so appealing? It’s a dynamic, creative city that offers you unlimited opportunities to experience art, heritage and culture, all in a setting of rare natural beauty. What will you find? A thriving theatre, music, and dance scene. Interesting galleries and one-of-a-kind museums. Fantastic festivals for every interest.
More than 400 permanently sited works in the City of Seattle’s public art collection enliven parks, bridges, streets libraries and even transfer stations. Storefronts bloom with temporary art installations.
Entertainment is boundless in Seattle. From high art to sky-high mountain peaks, there’s something for every Seattle visitor to experience.
Kids just want to have fun — and that usually means jumping, digging, and climbing into whatever adventure they can find. Fortunately, Seattle is awash with exciting escapades for tots, kids, and tweens.
When the sun comes out, Seattle’s outdoor-oriented culture shines, which means that adventurous activities, many within city limits, are bountiful.
Shopping is a personal experience and the Pacific Northwest offers a wide range of them. Seattle’s diverse neighborhoods offer virtually every type of shopping imaginable, from outdoor gear to trendy threads.
We invite lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning (LGBTQ) travelers to visit Seattle’s sophisticated, thriving urban core and experience the pristine wilderness and abundant outdoor recreation the surrounds the city.
Readers of Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler, two of the world’s foremost travel magazines, have voted Seattle one of their top ten favorite cities to visit. Explore Seattle’s African American, Asian American, Latino/Hispanic, Native American and Nordic history and heritage throughout the city and region. We invite you to discover the creative pulse that makes Seattle such a great place to live and to visit.” –Seattle CVB
Current Traffic: Google Traffic
Airport: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
Public Transit: Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT)
Walkability Score: 71 at Walk Score
Boutique: Hotel 1000
High End: Willows Lodge
Mid Range: Hotel Ballard
Foods to seek out:
In a city known for seafood, you would be amiss not to check out the Pike Place Chowder Co. at the world-famous Pike Place Market.
Picking the best breakfast and brunch spot in Seattle is extremely difficult, so here are a few that bear mentioning: 5 Spot, Morsel, Sweet Iron (amazing waffles), Lola from Tom Douglas, Geraldine's Counter and Porkchop and Co.
1. Take a stroll through Kerry Park and enjoy the spectacular views of Seattle.
2. Explore Volunteer Park Conservatory, which boasts five distinct environments.
3. Visit the world-famous Pike Place Market for plenty to do and great people-watching.
1. Experience Chihuly Garden and Glass, complete with several galleries, an outdoor garden, and the Glasshouse.
3. Canoe or walk the 230-acre Washington Park Arboretum for a color-laced swoon through nature.
1. Learn about the world of aircraft at The Museum of Flight.
2. Take a scenic ferry ride through the beautiful waters and local islands that surround Seattle.
3. Take the kids to the award-winning 92-acre Woodland Park Zoo, which features nearly 1,100 animals across almost 300 different species.
1. Dine at the lively Pink Door restaurant and live entertainment venue.
2. For a hopping jazz club, swing by Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley.
3. Go wine tasting at the quaint venue, The Tasting Room.
More by Ryan Rudnansky
Get Travel Deals and Travel News
Recent Travel Opinions